This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

For those who haven’t heard of or seen Netflix’s new show Queer Eye, you’re missing out. Rebooted from the original Bravo series Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, this new hit had its first episode out on Netflix on Feb. 7, 2018. The show films a group of five men in Atlanta, Georgia who all identify as gay and are known as the “Fab Five.” Each episode they meet a new “hero” to makeover his (but sometimes her) lifestyle. Bobby is the interior designer, Tan is the fashion designer, Karamo is the culture expert, Antoni is the food and wine specialist and  Jonathan is the grooming expert. This outstanding series is both hilarious and heart-wrenching. Grab your tissues for this one! 

1.

Jonathan is the queen of quotable sayings. Most of the time they are along the lines of “Fiercedom Honey!” However, sometimes he reveals his more sensitive side, and it’s just as amazing. This quote really gets you thinking about what it means to put yourself out there. In order to make deep connections with people, you have to be a little vulnerable. And honestly, this wisdom is so profound and I wasn’t prepared for it. 

2.

While filming Queer Eye season one episode five, the Fab Five makeover a devoted Christian father. The episode gets quite deep into conversation with Bobby and the father and the topic of gay individuals in the church. Bobby shares that he grew up in a very Christian community that wasn’t accepting of gay people. He went on to say, “I spent every prayer meeting and every Sunday crying and begging God to not make me gay.” Enough said. Immediate tear-jerker.

3.

Tan is a very straight-forward guy. He tells it how it is. This quote is no exception to the trend. “There’s no right or wrong way to be gay. No right or wrong way to come out. It’s your journey, do it the way you wanna do it.” Tan’s wise advice should be broadcasted to members of the LGBTQIA+ community everywhere! 

4.

In an impactful scene in season one episode three, Karamo (right) has an enlightening conversation with the “hero” (left), who is a cop. This episode was filmed during the intense period of police brutality against black people. The talk between the two open-minded men went really well, with Karamo saying in his confession on the subject, “I’m not saying a conversation between one police officer and one gay guy will solve all the problems, but maybe it can open up eyes to something more.”

5.

Typically, Antoni is drooling over avocados in the show, but in season two episode one, it’s a bit of a different story. In this episode, the Fab Five make over a woman who dedicates her life to her church and has a son who is gay. This woman loves her son unconditionally, and Antoni has a very emotional reaction to this (tears included). He said, “She thought her faith told her to judge someone who’s gay, but she chose to see past that, and she saw the individual.”

I am a Freshman at Ithaca College with a major in Psychology. I'm a member of Ithaca's Honors Program. I have a great passion for women's rights, LGBTQ+ rights, and human rights in general. When I'm not doing schoolwork, I'm probably catching up on the latest Jeffree Star video or binge-watching Jenna Marbles until sunrise.
Gillian was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Ithaca from September 2018 to May 2019. She was a journalism major and anthropology minor at Ithaca College and graduated in May 2019. Gillian enjoys reading, writing, Harry Potter, the Sims and grilled cheese.