This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

If you’re as big of a Game Of Thrones nerd as I am, you would know the empowering way the show portrays their lead female characters as well as some secondary female characters throughout the series. Despite the violence and graphic events they display, the battle scenes and grotesque behavior are not left for the men. In fact, the wonderful women on Game Of Thrones take more leadership positions that are far higher placed than their male counterparts. Let’s take a look at some of the most empowered women on the show that have been setting examples of leadership since season one:

(If you aren’t fully up to date on the show be careful! There may be some spoilers!)

5. Sansa​

Sansa Stark may have been on the receiving end of violence and hatred throughout the show, but her character never played the victim and always held her head high when facing danger. Despite her several engagements to men of power (men like King Joffrey and Ramsay Bolton, who usually physically harmed and terrorized her) she kept up her reputation as Lady of the North, plotting ways to return Winterfell to the Stark family. When her brother Jon regains control of Winterfell, Sansa stands by his side rebuilding everything that had been taken from their family during the rebellion. She truly sets an example to many who have been through something drastic to pick themselves up again and keep going!

4. Missandei

Missandei of Naath is a secondary character on the show that stands by Daenerys’ side after she had been freed from slavery. Later serving as Dany’s secondhand woman, she often keeps a brave and professional face, dealing with the complications that Queen Daenerys faces during her conquest to power. She learns multiple languages and skills that demonstrate her intelligence while serving as the queen’s translator and advisor during her time in the series.  

3. Arya

Okay, I know this one is obvious, but it’s no secret that Arya Stark is a true warrior when it comes to her story arc on Game Of Thrones. After sneaking away from King’s Landing during the murder of her father and kidnapping of her sister, Arya is forced to dress as a boy and travel with the other young men in search of work. With her sword, Needle, always by her side, she never had any issues defending herself. She trains herself to fight with her sword as well as her secret assassin training with the Many-Faced Gods. Arya is clever and brave and never turns a blind eye to danger, knowing that if she wants to be a woman in her world she must protect herself from harm’s way. Truly an inspiration!

2. Daenerys

Now this one is no secret either, but Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons is my biggest inspiration as well as that of many characters she meets through her rise to power. After the Targaryens were killed off and thrown from power, all that remained were Daenerys and her brother Viserys. After Viserys’ failed attempt to take back the Iron Throne by marrying Daenerys to Khal Drogo, she quickly took his position and followers of the Khal tribe, swearing to everyone she will free slaves and bring them all to power with her (with the help of her three dragons, of course). Amazingly, she does just that! Her admirers refer to her as “Mesa” which means mother in Valyrian, demonstrating her power as well as her ability to be kind and caring for those who support her. After all, she is the rightful heir to the Iron Throne, right? Right?!

1. Cersei

While she may be the single most hated character on the show, no one brings a more clever and manipulative form of power to the series than Queen Cersei Lannister. Living in her big, strong castle with her army standing in front of her, she is untouchable and uses that to the most of her advantage. She is tricky but brilliant with the way she handles her enemies, taking each of them down without them even knowing. Although her main motive is to protect her children and secret lover (and twin brother) Jaime Lannister, she uses them as pawns in her game to continue to stay on the Iron Throne (like when she’s conspiring against the Starks and using Tommen to “deal with” the High Septum). Cersei may not be the most morally just woman in GOT,  she certainly uses her power to her advantage, establishing her role as one of the most powerful women in all of Westeros.

First year student here at Ithaca College! Exploratory major as of now but I love to write and hope I can share that with all of you!
Gillian was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Ithaca from September 2018 to May 2019. She was a journalism major and anthropology minor at Ithaca College and graduated in May 2019. Gillian enjoys reading, writing, Harry Potter, the Sims and grilled cheese.