This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

You might say I’m a bit of a Stephen King fanatic but every movie that comes from or is adapted from his books is a masterpiece. He also enhances normal fears and makes them stomach-churning. Here’s the top 5 adaptations of his films that are scary enough to watch on Halloween:

1. Pet Sematary: This film is number one, and for a reason; it is stomach-churning. When first watching it, I had to look away at some parts. It’s very gruesome and first involves the family pet being run over. The main character, Louis Creed, has good intentions and comes upon an ancient burial ground that has the power to revive the dead. It goes very downhill after that point.

2. 1922: This movie is an adaptation of Stephen King’s novella that was published in 2010. This film takes you on an emotional rollercoaster. The main character, Wilfred, is a simple farmer who is struggling during an economic recession. He convinces his son to help him kill his wife, Arlette, and it spirals from that moment on. It is gripping and very chilling.

3. Gerald’s Game: One of the best of all times; it is scary, it is sexual, it is enigmatic. It features a couple at a secluded lakeside home, in which they are attempting to rekindle their romance. In this movie, a harmless sexual game turns into mental torture, delusions, death, and violence. 

4. The Shining: This is a cult classic; everyone knows this movie. Jack Nicholson loses his mind in this film while playing Jack Torrance, who is a writer and escapes to the isolated Colorado Rockies. He accepts a job as a winter caretaker at a hotel there, and during his time there, his demons steadily awaken and he loses his mind amid the isolation.

5. The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: This film is like a specific showing of Ellen’s life and the story was taken and adapted from Stephen King’s ‘Rose Red’ miniseries. This film is a classic, and I have watched it many times. It details the story of Ellen Rimbauer, who receives a huge and mysterious mansion from her husband as a wedding gift. He has a dark past that he amazingly hides for a while until after they’re married. During the film, she begins to notice people associated with him going missing. During this time, there are also strange things happening at their mansion, Rose Red, and it leads Ellen to question every second. 

I'm a business administration major here at Ithaca College and I enjoy writing about things that mean a lot to me!