3 Easy Ways to Stay Connected to Friends During a Global Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Being stuck at home for the past five months has not been easy for anyone. And to be honest, not having friends allowed in your home is A-W-F-U-L! Let’s be real here, who is going to be your hype person when getting ready for an occasion besides your best friend? Also, who is going to watch every single Halloweentown movie with you during Halloween this year?

Well, here are 3 easy ways for you to stay connected with your friends, safely, during a global pandemic: 

Netflix Party

The best way to be social (and lazy) during this pandemic is to do your normal activities through your laptop. Well, you’re in luck, because Netflix has introduced “Netflix Party”: a streaming service attached to Netflix that lets you virtually watch movies or shows with friends while being able to chat with each other! Think about it; this is the best way to “be social” without even trying! What’s a better way to spend a Friday night than belting out to Mamma Mia or Grease on Netflix with your friends?! Exactly, nothing. Well, what are you waiting for? Grab your popcorn and start streaming.

Virtual Game Nights on Zoom 

Another way to interact with your friends is to have a Zoom game night. While you may think this is boring, there are quite a few apps/online games that are really fun to play for college students! Psych by Ellen DeGeneres is one of the best party games apps in the app store. Imagine playing Apples to Apples, but coming up with the card ideas and having them specifically targeted at your friends playing… because that’s Psych! By the end of the night, you won’t even realize that you have played ten rounds, because you and your friends will be crying tears of laughter.

Trivia nights with friends are also a great way to gather many people together virtually. Friends can make trivia boards and come up with fun categories like best TV shows, and iconic trends in society. This way, you are able to play a game where EVERYONE is interested!

Group Workouts on Zoom/FaceTime

The third and most active way to stay connected with your friends is to do group workouts over Zoom/FaceTime. YouTubers such as Chloe Ting and the channel “MadFit” have composed fun workout routines that aren’t long! One friend can set up the video on Zoom and share their screen, while everyone participates!

I can assure you that it won’t be boring, because you and your friends can motivate each other, and laugh at each other! If you don’t want to watch any videos, you can still do a group call and compose a workout together. This way, you are all collaborating together, and having a fun time while doing the routine. 

Aside from these three ways to stay connected, there are also other options as well. Searching online or asking your friends to come up with fun and safe ideas is great too! Overall, it is important to make the best of your circumstances right now and make the effort to keep in touch with your friends. Try these out, and have fun!

Amanda Nadel is currently a sophomore at Ithaca College majoring in Communication Management and Design, and minoring in Integrated Marketing Communications. She enjoys traveling, writing, and hiking.