ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

11 Things to Do During Summer/Fall Storms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Everyone looks forward to the time off and nice weather summer brings. Unfortunately, summer also brings awful storms. Going from frolicking outside in the warmth to being stuck in doors can be such a bummer, but there are some things you can do to pass the time until you can enjoy the sun again.

Watch the Storm

Being outside during a thunderstorm is kind of terrifying, but watching a storm from the safety of your home is very peaceful. Next time a storm hits, stare out your window and relax.

Sleep

Any time can be naptime, so why not sleep through a storm instead of trying to wait it out? Provided the loud thunder doesn’t wake you up, storms are the perfect time to sneak in some extra sleep.

Watch TV

Not being able to go outside is the perfect excuse for sitting on the couch and watching TV all day. Whether you watch some reruns, catch up with your favorite show or check out that one show your friend won’t stop talking about, you can’t go wrong with cozying up in front of the TV.

Watch Your Favorite Movies

If you aren’t feeling TV or nothing good is on, try curling up with a blanket and your favorite movie. If it’s raining all day, try marathoning a series like The Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

Bake Cookies

You’re going to need some snacks while you watch TV and movies all day, so start off a rainy day by making cookies! If you don’t want to start baking right off the bat, take an intermission from your program to bake some treats.

Read a Book

Rainy days are the perfect time to curl up with a good book. So next time it rains, grab the next book on your to-read list and get going!

Play Video Games

If reading isn’t your thing or you just don’t want to think (we’ve all been there), try playing some video games. You won’t feel as bad about playing The Sims for 8 hours straight if you couldn’t go outside anyway.

Play Cards or a Board Game

If you’re with a group of people, try playing cards or a board game. It might sound kind of boring, but with the right people you can have a lot of fun. Plus, cards and board games don’t use electricity, so you’re set if the power goes out.

Do a Puzzle

If the power’s out (or even if it’s still on), try doing a puzzle! You can put one together with you friends or do one by yourself. Puzzles can be time consuming and tedious, but they’re actually pretty entertaining. As a bonus, you’ll have some cool artwork for your wall when you’re done

Finally Do That Project You’ve Been Putting Off

You’re trapped inside, so you have no excuses to not do that thing you’ve been meaning to. For me that would be finishing the room redecoration project I started over spring break and finally doing the travel scrapbook I bought all of the stuff for. So next time a storm sends you inside, make yourself do all of the stuff you’re usually too lazy to do!

Clean Your Room

This isn’t the most fun option you have for a rainy day, but your room could probably use a good cleaning. Add cleaning your room to your to-do list and try to actually get it done next time you’re stuck inside.

1, 2, 3, 4

Gillian was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Ithaca from September 2018 to May 2019. She was a journalism major and anthropology minor at Ithaca College and graduated in May 2019. Gillian enjoys reading, writing, Harry Potter, the Sims and grilled cheese.