Red Carpet to Campus | Fashion Inspiration from the Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Iowa State chapter.

Several scarlet-hued gowns rocked the Red Carpet at the Oscars this past Sunday, but for me… Sandra Bullock’s form-fitting crimson gown takes the win.  Red is an intense color and wearers of red are often the first to get noticed.  Red is bold, stimiluating and sexy—so it’s a given that every girl needs a LRD (little red dress).  Left: Sleeves, a modest neckline and a sensible hemline make for a work-appropriate LRD.  Center: This little strapless number echoes Sandra’s with its curve-hugging shape and interesting bodice.   Right: A drapey LRD that ties at the waist mimics the same sultry silhouette as Sandra’s, but with a little more femininity and restraint—perfect for a wedding and social event.  With any of these looks, keep accessories to a minimum.  The blazing red color speaks for itself.

Mila Kunis worked the Red Carpet in an unexpected lavender.  This pale shade of purple invokes calming effects, innocence and romance.  The designer (Elie Saab) sexed the gown up a bit with lacy cut-outs in all the right places.  While you probably don’t want to wear something this revealing to class, you can easily integrate Mila’s color choice into your Spring wardrobe.  Left & Center: Lingerie-inspired looks hot upcoming trends.  Right: A simple lavender tanks paired with a frilly white lace skirt combines all the charm of Mila’s gown.  Keep your look feminine with sparkley jewelry and ladylike shoes.

Lastly, we come to Natalie Portman’s gorgeous gown.  Wine, maroon, purple, merlot… whatever you choose to call this color, it’s a winner.  Purple has a royal association and will inspire feelings of richness, luxury and passion.  Pick a pretty dress in a similar shade and choose matching shoes.  Complete your look with a pair of tassel earrings like Natalie’s.