Black Swan Fashion Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Iowa State chapter.

Dainty ballerinas, beautiful music and graceful dancing mixed into an intense storyline of shocking, disturbing and sometimes downright gruesome moments… Black Swan is elegant and dramatic.  I left the movie theatre feeling not only impressed with the filming, choreography and acting, but also inspired by the costumes of the Black Swan, the White Swan and the ballerinas. 

Here’s how to integrate the Black Swan costumes into your everyday wardrobe:

The Black Swan’s dark wardrobe is infused with mystery, lust and passion.  For an evening out on the town, pull on black jeggings and a black off-the-shoulder top.  Accessorize with ballet-inspired pumps, a studded wristlet and black feather earrings.  When getting dolled up for date night, pair a little black dress with ballerina flats, a lacy clutch and feather-embellished hairband.  You can take the look to class with dark skinny jeans, a basic black long-sleeved top, slim ballet flats, a ruffly cross-body bag and jewelry featuring wings.  Feel like going out all out?  Channel your inner Black Swan with a feathered mini-skirt, black tee, feathery mask, metal bangles and these point-shoe-inspired booties—if you can walk in them, let alone dance!  Take a cosmetic cue from the Black Swan by wearing a smokey black eye or deep wine-red lipstick. 

The White Swan’s alabaster style embodies grace, youth and innocence.  Take the all-white look to the club (if you dare!) in skinny jeans, a sequined tank, feathered hairband, sparkling earrings and metallic ballet flats.  Or show up to your next date in a lovely ivory dress and ladylike ballerina-inspired shoes.  A gold clutch and gold swan necklace complete are ideal finishing touches.  To bring some Swan Lake into the lecture hall, wear faded skinnies with a basic white tee, white flats, white feather earrings and tote.  To showcase your White Swan style, wear a tulle mini, white top, pretty white masquerade mask, white satin clutch and heels with ribbons that tie around your ankles like ballerina slippers.  Stay fresh and natural with light make-up and nude lipstick.

Falling somewhere in between the Black Swan and White Swan, or smitten with all the graceful ballerinas in the movie?  It’s easy to integrate chic ballet-inspired details into your wardrobe.  Start off with a pretty pink coat like Natalie Portman’s character Nina sported in the movie.  For running errands or hanging around the dorm, an over-sized cardigan, legwarmers over leggings and soft flats are super comfy.  Wear basic skinny jeans, a rosy tank top, cozy sweater and pink ballet flats to class.  For something more formal, dress up ballerina-style in a pretty pink dress, soft gray cardigan and ballet-inspired pumps.  (And isn’t that swan clutch adorable?!)  Black leggings, a gray-and-pink-striped tunic and black ballet flats are perfect for going out with friends on the weekend.  To complete any of these looks, pull your hair up into a sleek ballerina bun.

Which Black Swan style are you most likely to integrate into your daily fashion?