This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Inter SG chapter.

Slowly but victoriously, the world of cinema has started to address women the way it should be. Sure there’s still work to be done, but there are already some movies that either: made history themselves with women or acknowledged the history of women.

So now I want to give you my Top Ten Movies for celebrating the #InterNationalWomensDay with your gals, or any other day. This movies speak to our hearts and minds.

Note that there are more than ten movies out there showing women in history or making history for women. However, for this list the chosen ones are movies that can mean so much for a little girl who watches them or for our elderly women who didn’t have this type of representation in Hollywood back at their days. 

10.Beauty & The Beast (2017)

Synopsis: Belle, a bright, beautiful and independent young woman, is taken prisoner by a beast in its castle. Despite her fears, she befriends the castle’s enchanted staff and learns to look beyond the beast’s hideous exterior, allowing her to recognize the kind heart and soul of the true prince that hides on the inside.

Why watch this movie: Please step aside for the first Disney Princess who gave us our first interest in reading. As a little girl, seeing Belle holding a book sparked something in me and I know that this new version can do the same for our young girls out there. The reason why I chose this version, is because I feel like we can see better what Belle was really dealing with, as a female, back in that era. She was always smart and strong, which was scandalous for France, where only boys could go to school and war. Belle also symbolizes the beginning of women as teachers (something never imagined at the time), when she wants to teach a little girl how to read. 

9.Bandidas (2006)

Synopsis: In 19th-century Mexico two women from vastly different backgrounds join forces against a ruthless U.S. bank magnate who is stealing land from defenseless peasants so that he can build a railroad

Why watch this movie: Growing up, I saw Bandidas as the perfect action movie for me. This movie was literally the first time I saw women shooting guns without having to wear “sexy clothes” and definitely without being the damsels in distress. This film teaches a few valuable lessons to all girls like: “Fight for what you believe no matter that you’re a woman”. After all, this is the story of two women defending an entire country against all odds.

8.Molly’s Game (2017)

Synopsis: The true story of Molly Bloom, a beautiful, young, Olympic-class skier who ran the world’s most exclusive high-stakes poker game for a decade before being arrested in the middle of the night by 17 FBI agents wielding automatic weapons.

Why watch this movie: This movie sparked my interest since the first day I saw the trailer, telling a story I’ve never heard before. And while it may be a tad too long, it is promising and a true story. She started by being a nobody who didn’t even knew what were poker players like, to make the games for all kinds of important people. Maybe not the story all girls are seeking, but definitely one that will set a record for women. I mean, how many times do we see movies like this? 

7.Big Eyes (2014)

Synopsis: In the late 1950s and early ’60s, artist Walter Keane achieves unbelievable fame and success with portraits of saucer-eyed waifs. However, no one realizes that his wife, Margaret, is the real painter behind the brush. 

Why watch this movie: Not gonna lie, you’re going to be so angry when first watching this movie. Margaret’s husband is the kind of guy who makes you not want to believe in love, and for total sexist reasons. However it is such an important piece that represents the exploitation of women and their talent. Even though we now know the real story, this film makes us think “How many other women went trough the same thing and nobody ever said anything?”

6.Belle (2013)

Synopsis: The illegitimate, mixed-race daughter of a British admiral plays an important role in the campaign to abolish slavery in England.

Why watch this movie: Although this is more of a race-issue movie, it is still the true story of a women who faced terrible things and became an important piece of history. Through the movie you get to see a girl who lives divided in two worlds and fights the prejudices and discriminations women of color had to face in her time. She is strong, intelligent and inspiring.

5.Princess Ka’iulani (2009)

Synopsis: A Hawaiian princess attempts to maintain the independence of the islands against the threat of American colonization.

Why watch this movie: Real life Polynesian princess? Yes please. Girls need more movies about princesses who fight for their land and don’t depend on her prince who rescue them. So why not give them the story of a real one? This film is just what a lot of us needed when younger. Not to mention, this intense movie is sure to wake a lot of people.

4.Mulan (1998)

Synopsis: Fearful that her ailing father will be drafted into the Chinese military, Mulan takes his spot — though, as a girl living under a patriarchal regime, she is technically unqualified to serve. She cleverly impersonates a man and goes off to train with fellow recruits. Accompanied by her dragon, Mushu, she uses her smarts to help ward off a Hun invasion.

Why watch this movie: This movie was a big highlight of my childhood. As a kid I remember wanting to be like Mulan and learn to use a sword to fight the bad guys; even tough that never happened, I still got something from her: I learned that being a girl is never a reason to stop doing what I love. Mulan teach us that being a woman is something to be proud of, that we can do just as good as any man. This movie is probably the most inspirational thing a girl can grow up with and I can’t wait for the new version to come out. 

3. Hidden Figures (2016)

Synopsis: Three brilliant African-American women at NASA — Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson — serve as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn into orbit, a stunning achievement that restored the nation’s confidence, turned around the Space Race and galvanized the world.

Why watch this movie: Here’s a fun fact that’s not even funny: school never taught me that black women helped NASA get the first astronaut on the moon. A movie had to happen so that I knew this. Not only that, this is such an inspiring story about destroying prejudice but also lets the world be aware how much important woman are. 

2. Legally Blonde (2001)

Synopsis: Elle Woods has it all. She wants nothing more than to be Mrs. Warner Huntington III. But there is one thing stopping him from proposing: She is too blond. Elle rallies all of her resources and gets into Harvard, determined to win him back.

Why watch this movie: When I first watched this movie, I told my mom: “I’m going to be just like her.” And my mom believed I meant I was going to be a lawyer (Sorry, mom.) but really I meant I wanted to be as confident, smart, styled and intelligent as Elle Woods. This movie is really the destructor of blonde stereotypes and sorority girls. Nothing like seeing such a strong woman destroy her ex-boyfriend thoughts of how women should and shouldn’t be. Legally Blonde opens the world’s eyes to the believe that any woman can reach their best potential without changing who they are. 

1. Wonder Woman (2017) 

Synopsis: Before she was Wonder Woman, she was Diana, princess of the Amazons, trained to be an unconquerable warrior. Raised on a sheltered island paradise, Diana meets an American pilot who tells her about the massive conflict that’s raging in the outside world. Convinced that she can stop the threat, Diana leaves her home for the first time. Fighting alongside men in a war to end all wars, she finally discovers her full powers and true destiny.

Why watch this movie: Is only the story of one of the best super heroine of all times. This movie shows great power in the hands of inspiring women characters and shows how we can always be the hero. This version of Wonder Woman is just what mine and other generations needed. My mom was happy like a kid on Christmas when she saw it and my little sister wanted all she could find about her. Women representation in the category of superheroes is more important than people want to recognize.

There are other movies out there that speak for women and that inspire girls all over the world. We just have to be more willing to search and share them. Hollywood still has some work to do, but every day more women are raising to make that change we deserve. I can’t wait for what this year is going to bring to the screen. Women in Hollywood are here to make history. 

Adamaris is a Visual Arts major student with a concentration in Graphic Design and a minor in English Literature. Her interests include film and cinema, drawing , writing , poetry, photography, women studies and the environment.
Nashali Galarza

Inter SG '20

Hello there, My name is Nashali Galarza and I'm in an English Major. I love reading and the art of writing. Being the Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Inter SG was an important project for me which requires a lot of energy and dedication. I have published my first poetry book in December 2017 and will publishing the second one in October 2019. Also I am always looking for new writing adventures.♥