kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Inter SG chapter.

We have all been through stressful situations that can hinder how we interact with people at home, school, work,  social gatherings, and with our significant other. Learning how to practice calmness can lessen the amount of stress we face on a daily basis, and can help improve our overall health and outlook on life.

Being calm can be a struggle for some when there is too  much pent up stress in their bodies. Practicing how to achieve a state of calmness can be of great help to those who are feeling stressed. 

Here are some of the ways one can practice calmness to have a better state of mind: 

Incorporare a calm morning ritual

Something such as calming music to start the morning right can make a difference. You can also write every morning to get all of your negative feelings out and be ready for the day. 

Notice your response to people or situations. 

If you are having a conversation with someone and that person is beginning to get you stressed, annoyed, or uncomfortable,  notice how you react to that person. Keep a calm attitude and calmly explain what you did like about what was said, or done. It is hard to maintain a calm attitude in certain situations, but it’s best to breathe deep and keep a positive attitude.

Do not take things to heart.

Certain moments, we may feel  personally targeted when someone hurts us with their actions or words because they’re under a lot of stress. It is unfortunate that people with pent up stress will end up taking it out   on others, but we must remember not to take it personal because not everyone is happy all the time, and that’s okay. 

Create a habit that helps you deal with stress. 

Many times when we are stressed, we tend to go in a negative direction. We might throw and break objects , or even subconsciously do harmful things to ourselves like clenching our jaw or grinding our teeth. These are not good habits that help ease stress; instead, go for a walk, burn some incense, or relax in a quiet environment.

Reference: https://zenhabits.net/calm/

Hi! My name is Nacelyn and I'm majoring in political science. I joined the HC Inter SG chapter about two years ago and have since continued to develop my writing skills. My writing interests include politics and social issues, among other things. Besides writing, I currently serve as co-correspondent for the chapter.