Career

Mom, Friend, and Badass Entrepreneur

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Inter SG chapter.

There is always someone in our life who motivates us, that becomes our role model and makes us say, “when I grow up, I want to be like them”. This week, I sat down with the most amazing woman, who is an excellent boss and motivational friend but mostly, best human being I’ve ever known. Lizbeth Torres Pérez is an entrepreneur who owns a bakery called Panadería Betances in the lovely town of Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico. Honestly, talking and working with her every day is an adventure. Empathetic and wise are the qualities that best describe her, but I will let you know her and realize why I want to be a badass woman like her.

1. What aspects do you consider the most important as an entrepreneur?

I consider that setting goals, having a clear idea of ​​what you want to set, making budgets on the capital that is available vs. the necessary; are the most important.

2. How would you describe your career as a woman entrepreneur?

Being an entrepreneur consists of many sacrifices, it is a career full of challenges and it requires a lot of time and dedication.

3. Tell us about the impact your business has on the local economy. What is the most difficult thing about being an entrepreneur in our current economic climate? What do you think you can do within your own business to combat these difficulties?

This bakery contributes to local economic growth since the profits remain within the municipality of Cabo Rojo; in addition, our bread is considered the best in the area and favorite among customers. I consider that the most difficult in this work environment are the high costs of electricity, gas service and the low employment rate since, if the client does not make a profit, he or she does not consume. To combat these difficulties, we focus on an energy saving system, control of product use, and the most difficult for me, cutting working hours to my work team.

4. Did the idea of ​​having your business scared you so much that you thought not to do it?

Totally!! At first I didn’t know anything about how to do it; but I have had the help and guidance of my husband who has had experience in the commercial field and has become my mentor in this journey.

5. When you feel you should improve something; do you tend to set short or long term goals?

I establish both, depending on the situation since I like to challenge myself and always working for the welfare of the business.

6. How do you adjust your business to the particular needs or requirements of the bulk of customers who frequent your business?

I like to have my business stocked with all kinds of products, that the client feels and thinks that he can visit our store for any type of need and in a flexible schedule. In addition, I like to innovate and provide new products and I always take into account the opinion and recommendation of my clients.

7. Do you visualize yourself doing this always or would you like to move to other areas, companies or jobs?

I don’t visualize on this in the long term. I want to explore other areas completely different from the bakery, but oriented to the local customer.

8. How do you find a way to be excellent at your job while raising your daughter?

It is a huge challenge. Being a mom and working is knowing how to make a balance, organize and have your priorities clear.

9. How do you think being a mother makes your experience different from people who don’t have children?

It is different because of the fact that a woman who has no children has all the time available. The experience with children is full of challenges and learning, and makes you see things in a completely different way.

10. As a mother, what do you consider to be the most important aspects when educating and instilling values ​​focused on fighting and working for what you want?

Honesty and responsibility are the most important. It is teaching them to work and make money honestly because what comes easy, easy goes.

11. You were a great support for the growth of Her Campus Inter SG chapter, how do you feel about it?

I think the expression for that is BEYOND EXCITED. Since they came to me with the idea of ​​a new challenge and project, it filled me with immense pride. I knew that I would accomplish it. It has been another achievement in my daughter’s life and the fact that I became part of it , seeing her write and being able to meet and share with the whole team has been one of the most exciting experiences.

12. Something you want to add as motivation to our readers.

That they always fight for their dreams and goals, that nothing will be easy but the sacrifice will be worth it. There is nothing more rewarding than the satisfaction of having something for which you have sacrificed; and it’s something that nobody can take away from you. Being a mother, wife, businesswoman and working outside the house makes us feel that we cannot achieve it; but if you can and more when we have someone who sees us, who inspires us because we are a mold for them; and that is the just and necessary motivation to achieve everything.

Nashali Galarza

Inter SG '20

Hello there, My name is Nashali Galarza and I'm in an English Major. I love reading and the art of writing. Being the Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Inter SG was an important project for me which requires a lot of energy and dedication. I have published my first poetry book in December 2017 and will publishing the second one in October 2019. Also I am always looking for new writing adventures.♥
Hi! My name is Nacelyn and I'm majoring in political science. I joined the HC Inter SG chapter about two years ago and have since continued to develop my writing skills. My writing interests include politics and social issues, among other things. Besides writing, I currently serve as co-correspondent for the chapter.