kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Divorced Parents: The Positive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Inter SG chapter.

Every huge life decision comes with negative and positive aspects. In some occasions, it might even come with more negative than positive; but, then again, each family experience and point of view is different. So, what comes to mind when the word “divorce” is mentioned? Mostly negative things, right? I  used to think about the negative aspects too. Nevertheless, now I mostly have positive experiences and thoughts about my parents’ divorce. 

Image credit.

My parents got divorced when I was around seven or eight years old. At that time, I was young and didn’t know what  was going on. Once time passed, I grew and  was able to comprehend that this was what life had planned for me and it was for the best. This does not mean that I agree with all the aspects of it, there’s always one or two negative things I could mention, but the positive overcome these. Now, the positive points I am about to list are my opinion, supported by opinions of people I talked to about the topic. All things considered, not everyone will think the same. But like I mentioned earlier, we all have different experiences; this is my point of view on the  positive situations I have obtained from  my parents’ divorce. 

Image credit.

Now, without further do, here are four (out of a few more) positive aspect of having divorced parents:

You learn how to be emotionally stronger. 

It can be traumatizing to see your parents get a divorce. But learning to listen and acknowledging that the decision was made for the good of everybody, will help you stay emotionally stable. It will be a rollercoaster of emotions but, controlling that is what will make you stronger. 

The little moments are more appreciated. 

This positive aspect comes as a result of a negative one. With divorced parents, you don’t get to see both together often or even at all. So, you’ll have to divide your time, holidays and summers. However, this will give you a chance to appreciate, cherish and focus on creating memories with whichever parents you are with. Those little memories will be what you remember. 

The good cop, bad cop situation. 

This will be a positive thing for us, but not for the parents. It would be ideal for parents to be on the same page of what they should lets us do and what we shouldn’t. Of course, in many occasions, separated parents do not communicate properly so we take this as a chance of getting what we want. When one says no, we go to the other one who will probably say yes. If both decide to be the bad cop, what else can we do? 

Family gets bigger, love grows.

This might not be the situation for some children of divorced parents but it is mine. Our parents move once and find the right person to grow old with. The consequences to this are probably my favorite part of the situation. I now have an amazing stepmother and siblings whom I love. It also came with extended family, a lot of people who care about me. Furthermore, just seeing each of our parents moving on and being genuinely happy is everything.

Not everyone who is a child of divorced parents will agree with these positive points. The negative aspects will always be there, it’s not all rainbows and clear skies. It is not an easy process, but we need to try and look at the good things to be able to live a better and emotionally healthy life. 

Hi! My name is Nacelyn and I'm majoring in political science. I joined the HC Inter SG chapter about two years ago and have since continued to develop my writing skills. My writing interests include politics and social issues, among other things. Besides writing, I currently serve as co-correspondent for the chapter.