This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Inter SG chapter.

When you are a single woman and desperately looking for a person to have a serious relationship with or just a steamy night of passion, you either end up asking your matchmaker friend to hook you up or the old reliable dating apps like Tinder. Although you will most likely end up in Tinder anyway, after a few swipes left and right and tons of conversations, he finally asks you out! The day finally arrives and you both agree to go see a movie at the theater. You’re super excited to meet him but he turns out to be completely different to the guy you really liked talking to. And that is why I have written here the best solutions to avoid those terrible first date tragedies.     

1. Get to know each other

Talk to your date about your favorite kind of food or your favorites places, so he or she can make suggestions for the first date. This way you will avoid going to a place where that person or you feel uncomfortable or cannot eat what they offer in the menu.  

2. Be prepared

Before you leave your home, don’t forget to charge your phone and bring extra money; in case your date “can’t pay your dinner because he is on a budget”. According to Men’s Health magazine, he/she can plan the date and take you to places he/she can afford. Like most of the people I know say about this basic ethic rule of first dates, “The one whom invites, has to pay”. Also, I recommend talking to one of your friends in case you need a ride or a rescue.  

3. Conversation topics

It’s a Big no-no talk about the exes, politics and religion. Everyone knows you start with the basics. This first date is about getting to know each other and depends of the type of relations he/she is looking for.

4. Pay attention to details

If your date opens the door for you, offers to give you a ride and pay attention to the little details instead of its phone; he is a keeper. If not, he/she is not worthy for a second date.  

5. Manners

First date is all about more conversation and less touching and kissing (unless, you are looking for a One Night Stand). Your date must be focused on getting to know you and be respectful.

For me, first dates are to meet the person and have a great time with them. After the first date, if he/she is satisfied about the great success of that first encounter; there is a huge chance to have more dates with that person.

Happy dating my darlings!

Crystal Ufret is currently a Masters Degree student of the Professional Counseling program. She's a sorority girl of the Nu Delta Sigma and a brother of the National Fraternity of Service Alpha Phi Omega. Also, she's a member of the Lions Club International and the Junior Chamber International (Puerto Rico). Her favorite authors are Esmeralda Santiago, Paulo Coelho and Maya Angelou. She enjoys cooking, traveling and doing handmade jewelry.