This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Inter SG chapter.

This is my 5th year in college, which means this is the 5th year in a row I’ve considered dropping out. When I graduated high school, I didn’t want to go to college, but my parents gave me no other option. I was forced since day one to go somewhere I didn’t want to be in and didn’t feel like I was smart enough for. I know we’ve all felt overwhelmed with college work, but I also want to express how grateful I am they pushed me to get my degree and how worth it, allthough stressful, it has been. 

I’ll be graduating in May 2020, and I can’t begin to express how excited I am to finally walk with my peers and throw my cap in the air, signaling the end of this chapter and the start of a new one. I had friends in high school and they’re still my friends to this day, but in college I met the best people and joined a small group of friends I hope to keep forever. They really become your second family, even when we’re busy and don’t see each other often, I know the moment I see them, it’s like nothing changed and for them, I’m also grateful.

Midterm season coming up and I’m not ashamed to admit I’ve sobbed my eyes out while taking an online test every now and then, but grades don’t define you. It’s a quote we’ve heard often but after 5 years you really start to understand it. There’s also the famous “C’s get degrees”, and although I definitely don’t encourage low grades, I want to emphasize how getting a B won’t kill you, like I thought for so long. These classes are very hard, they’re building professionals and knocking out the ones who aren’t cut for it, but you’re making it through when many can’t. As long as you do your best and you learn something, you’re doing it right. 

What I’m trying to say here is that, college is hard. That’s a fact. It’s supposed to be hard; it builds you into a smart, educated individual and gives you the experiences and life skills you’ll need for the rest of your life. Don’t give up because of a few bumps you’ve hit along the way, I promise it gets so much better. Take it from someone who begged to be taken out of college, I wouldn’t have changed this for the world. College made me into who I am today, sure it broke me along the way, but it taught me a lot of valuable lessons. It gave me some of the most important people in my life and some of the best memories I have. That degree you suffered a couple years for will be all worth it once you have your tittle and a good paying job. 

This is our youth, our moment, the best years of our lives! Take advantage of that, of everything college offers, every internship, clubs, activities, studies abroad, interesting electives, take all of that. Don’t let fear hold you back and don’t give up when it gets hard. Quitting will only make you wonder “what if” for the rest of your life, moving forward will let you live it. I hope the next time you feel overwhelmed and like you can’t do it anymore, you remember this and see you’re not alone. Just hold on a little longer, little by little you’ll get there, no matter how long it takes. If you need help, don’t hesitate to ask, your university will most likely have guidance counselors, psychologists and other professionals whose job it is to listen and help you. You got this!

Hi! My name is Nacelyn and I'm majoring in political science. I joined the HC Inter SG chapter about two years ago and have since continued to develop my writing skills. My writing interests include politics and social issues, among other things. Besides writing, I currently serve as co-correspondent for the chapter.