This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Inter SG chapter.

Reading is an activity that is not only immensely good for you and your health, but it is also an activity that makes you grow so much as a person. I became what some people call an ‘avid reader’ when I was 17. I used to read a few books a year when I was younger, but it wasn’t an activity I thoroughly enjoyed like I enjoy it now. Which makes me really sad, because it reminds me how much time I wasted not reading (I’m only half kidding here). I digress; there are some books that I truly believe are what shaped me into the woman I am today. I would like to share with you a few of those books (in no particular order, FYI). This list is specifically about  books that made me think about womanhood, femininity, sexuality, and just simply the struggles we go through as women.

1. Cherry by Lindsey Rosin

This book is seriously the most accurate and realistic approach to women’s sexuality I have ever read in my whole life. It’s about a group of girl friends who make a pack to lose their virginities before they graduate high school. I know, I know, it sounds so “cliché”, but I promise you, it is so good. It’s sensible and modern and the best part of it, it’s so empowering.

2. The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur:

Kaur is widely known throughout the internet for her first poetry book Milk and Honey, which is really good as well, but this one is gold. It touches on topics like sexual assault, sisterhood, and immigration. It’s deeper (in my opinion) than her first book, so I recommend this one over her first one.

3. It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

Hoover is an author that you will either absolutely love or horribly hate. I personally love her novels. She creates complex characters and crazy plots that keep you entertained until the very last page. I don’t want to give too much away, but this book touches on domestic violence, homelessness, and women in the business world. It is one of her best books, in my opinion. Fair warning though, this book is not for the faint of heart, since it gets really dark really fast.

4. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

This story has been recently made into a series on Hulu, which was what introduced the book to me. This book… I don’t even know how to begin to explain how good this book is. It’s about a not-so-far-away dystopian world where women have lost most of their rights. As in, women aren’t allowed to read books or write anymore. It touched on topics like: religion, sexuality, identity, rape, human rights, moral… etc. It is so good, and the show dives even deeper into the world Atwood has created. If you are in the mood of being enraged and completely challenged mentally, I suggest you give this one a try. (If you’re interested in watching the show, I would read the book first ? )

5. The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

This book is written in a way that makes it really easy to read. It’s about a young girl called Esperanza and her struggles growing up as a Latina in a low-income neighborhood. I think, as a Latina myself, this book was really relatable. While reading it, I can picture people I know in real life who are like the characters in this book. The stories and what the characters go through are a reality for many latinos that migrate to the States. It is very well written and full of culture. I recommend this book to any Latina out there that want to see their hardships represented in a book.

Hopefully this list has inspired you to pick up a book (even if it’s not one on this list) and you find a new hidden gem to share with the world!

Just a ~quirky~ girl that loves literature, coffee, skincare, our planet, and doggies. You’ll probably read from me a lot of articles related to sex, periods, eco-friendly stuff, books, skincare, and a whole lot of other random stuff. Stick around and enjoy some cool words! 
Nashali Galarza

Inter SG '20

Hello there, My name is Nashali Galarza and I'm in an English Major. I love reading and the art of writing. Being the Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Inter SG was an important project for me which requires a lot of energy and dedication. I have published my first poetry book in December 2017 and will publishing the second one in October 2019. Also I am always looking for new writing adventures.♥