3 Hair Styles to Try When There’s No Electricity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Inter SG chapter.

As someone who has been weeks, if not months, without electricity (thanks, Hurricane Maria); I know what a struggle it can be to look presentable enough for certain places like: a dinner party, a job interview or a school presentation.

Sure, I know it’s hard to say goodbye to the straighter and the hair curler, but don’t worry. Whatever it is that’s thrown at you, I got just the hairdos that can save your life. And the best part: NO HEAT NEEDED

1. The Braid Crown:

This style is not only great for looking presentable at a business-casual, but is also very practical and easy to do.

1. You start by separating your hair in three pieces.

2. Use the center piece and make it into a bun.

3. With the resting pieces create two of your favorite braids and join them together by the ends, making the shape if a crown.

4. Optional: You can give your braids volume by stretching them a little, and even let some baby hairs fall in your forehead for a more casual look. 

2. The Beach Waves

Maybe not as effective as a hair curler, but this hack sure will make you look great at a presentation or even a date:

1. Start by mixing, together: 

2 cups of hot water

1 teaspoon of sea salt

1 teaspoon of raw coconut oil

1 teaspoon of hair gel or your favorite hair mousse

2. Once the mix loses the warm of the water, pour it into a spray bottle.

3. Make sure you shake the mix well once is in the bottle. Then start spraying it on the ends of your hair.

4. Start twisting the hair with your free hand as you spray.

5. Wait a little, so it dries naturally. Finally, you should be having mermaid hair by the end of this. 

3. Half the French

Let’s say you’re giving an oral presentation or just looking for a way you can have your hair loose but not really on your face. Well, this is your look!

1. Make sure your hair is completely untangled. You can use a leave-in conditioner to help, but only focus it on the ends.

2. Start by grabbing all the bangs or front hair and dragging them to the back of your head. Then hold them in the shape of a triangle.

3. Divide your hair in two parts: one to be the top, and one to be the bottom

4. Divide your top hair in three parts and start braiding it, stopping halfway the end.

5. You can start twisting the ends of your bottom hair, using the leave-in conditioner to give it a cute look if you’d like.

Remember: you don’t need any heat for this hairdos, making them the perfect thing for when you don’t have electricity or… You’re just late for your first class or even work in the morning.

Good luck!

Adamaris is a Visual Arts major student with a concentration in Graphic Design and a minor in English Literature. Her interests include film and cinema, drawing , writing , poetry, photography, women studies and the environment.
Nashali Galarza

Inter SG '20

Hello there, My name is Nashali Galarza and I'm in an English Major. I love reading and the art of writing. Being the Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Inter SG was an important project for me which requires a lot of energy and dedication. I have published my first poetry book in December 2017 and will publishing the second one in October 2019. Also I am always looking for new writing adventures.♥