This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Indy chapter.

So, you’ve gotten into your dream school and are ready to start the semester. Life’s going great, but the only problem is that you haven’t declared a major. You may be wondering if you are the only one who is not quite sure what you want to do with your life quite yet. Can I let you in on a little secret? Most students actually enter college with an undecided major. In fact, according to a study done by central.edu, 75 percent of American college students start their college career undecided or change their major at least once. That’s right, you’re not so uncommon after all. So, how do you choose your major? Well, let’s first answer the obvious question. What exactly is a major? A college major is your main area of focus while getting an undergraduate degree. A college minor allows you to become familiar with other disciplines that often go with your major. Simple right? Next, let’s look at what kind of degree you want to get. As an undergraduate, you will have the option of doing a Bachelor of Arts, a B.A., or a Bachelor of Science, a B.S. One of the biggest difference between the two is that a B.A. tends to have a much broader sense of academics, while a B.S. is more focused on specific areas of academics. Because of that, a B.S. typically requires students to take more credit hours. Now, the fun part: picking a major. First, when picking a major, figure out what you’re passionate about early on. Do you like playing video games? Maybe look into computer science or graphic design. Have you always had a knack for building the best Sims houses? Try looking at majoring in interior design or architecture. Finding something that you are passionate about makes it so that when you graduate college, you will no doubt love your career choice.

After you have a general idea of what you’re passionate about and have decided to turn that passion into a career, I highly suggest looking up potential careers and evaluating each career’s job outlook. A job outlook is an overview if we should see job growth or job decline in a certain number of years. By getting an understanding of your career’s outlook early, it can help you decide whether or not you want to focus on a specific career path or exploring alternatives.

Communication Major Political Science Major Concentration in Human Communication Member of the UIndy Honors College Her Campus at Indy Campus Correspondent
Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Indy/ Class of 2022/ Marketing and Political Science / Feminist/ Aquarius