An Open Letter to my Little Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Indy chapter.

You’re growing up right before my eyes. I hate every second of it because I am no longer home to see how much of a woman you have become. I want you to stay little forever because then, no one can hurt you. I know you’re doing amazing on your own. You have a job now and a boyfriend. I remember how I wished I could have an older sister when I was your age. Sixteen is hard. Seventeen is worse. Eighteen will kick you to the curb, then tell you to get up and walk home from there. 

I want to tell you that the job you are working now, doesn’t have to be forever. You may feel that you have to stay there. I promise you don’t. The boyfriend you have won’t be forever but please, make the absolute most of it. Make the most memories and love with all you have. I am so excited to see where you go from here. You don’t do your hair anymore because natural looks good on you. It really does love. Buy all the clothes you can because when you’re on your own, you can’t. I shouldn’t have bought only makeup when I was your age. Save every penny. Contradicting, right? It makes no sense but this is the advice I have for you. 

Leave that town. Travel as much as you can. You’re young, you’ll find a way. Remember that spontaneous trip to Alabama I took? I was seventeen. Mom and dad hated it but please make those memories and take those chances. You’ll learn everything the hard way. That is really the only way to do it.

High school is HORRIBLE. Or at least it was for me. I wanted an older sister so bad through it all. You helped anyway just by being by my side. Apply to colleges. So many. Study SISSY!! GPA matters to get into college. You’re killing it so far.

Stay up late with your friends. Be sleepy the next day. It was worth it, wasn’t it? Spend time with mom and dad. They will miss you loads when you’re gone. Visit the grandparents. You’ll miss them when they’re gone. 

You deserve the world and more, my love. I want you to know that.

Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Indy/ Class of 2022/ Marketing and Political Science / Feminist/ Aquarius