It’s Okay to Not Know What to Do With Your Life.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Indy chapter.

As a proud Type A perfectionist, I can be the first to tell you when I realized my life plan wasn’t what I wanted anymore, I freaked out. It felt like my life was out of my control, and I didn’t know what to do or how to react. And, if you’re anything like me and reading this, the words “it’s okay, all college students change their minds eventually” did not help. So, what did help me? Here are my tricks to calming yourself down after changing your mind on who you want to be.

First, take a deep breath. This sounds cliché and old fashioned, but trust me, it’s a great starting point. Slowing yourself down with just one simple breath will help you put things into perspective. It can also allow you a moment of calm if you’ve been experiencing a storm of anxiety. 

Second, make a list. Not a check the box off type of list, make a list about yourself. You may feel that you already know yourself pretty well at this point in your life, but you would be surprised by the things you didn’t know about yourself. So, make a list of your interests, your dislikes, what makes you happy, and what makes you annoyed. Knowing these things will help you later on when deciding what to pursue. For example, if you like writing but hate long term projects, maybe a career in journalism would interest you. 

Third, do something you enjoy. That could be going for a run, watching a movie, or hanging out with friends. Doing something you enjoy will help to distract you from stressing over changing your mind. It doesn’t diminish the importance of making a decision, but it gives you a break from worrying.

Lastly, talk to someone who knows you best. That could be a family member, friend, or mentor who you feel comfortable seeking advice from. They may have a different perspective on your talents and weaknesses that you may not. It may also be beneficial to you to know that you are not alone. There are people who want to help you, who want to see you succeed and talking to them about what’s bothering you may help to take some of the stress off of your shoulders.

Changing your mind is okay. Being unsure of yourself is also okay. If something you are doing doesn’t make you happy or you don’t feel passionate about it, then why pursue it? You deserve to be happy and lead a happy life, so do something you love to do.

Communication Major Political Science Major Concentration in Human Communication Member of the UIndy Honors College Her Campus at Indy Campus Correspondent