This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Indy chapter.

My dad would always tell me, “College will be the best four years of your life.” Yet, here I am, four weeks into the semester at a new school, still feeling homesick. I wish I could go back home from the love to the food, memories, and friends and family. For many people, college is a huge milestone in one’s life. From moving into a new environment to gaining newfound independence, feeling homesick is expected during the first few college months. But, with the right steps, there are many ways to overcome homesickness.

Bring Home to Your Room

When you’re packing to go away for college, bring knick-knacks to help make your room feel like home. Pictures of your friends and family or a stuffed animal can make you feel more comfortable.

Please Leave Your Room and Explore

The primary reason many feel homesick is because of being in a new, foreign environment. Take some time out of the week to explore. Taking a stroll through campus or joining new clubs can take your mind off things and allow you to have fun. You will never make friends or join new experiences by sitting in your room and watching TV. Make the most of it.

Call and Visit Home

Remember, your friends and family are one phone call away. There’s no problem calling your loved ones back at home. There’s a fair chance, though, that you could miss them more. Try calling them every other day. This goes the same way for visiting them. They will always be home. You can go home to visit, but not every single weekend. By leaving every single weekend, you can miss out on the opportunity to make new friends and events happening on campus.

Meet with a Counselor

College is a new chapter, and it can be quite challenging. Talking to a counselor could resolve the problem. Colleges have counseling resources students can go to discuss their feelings. Sometimes, homesickness could lead to anxiety or depression, so talking to someone can help because they can provide tips and support. Take care of your physical health, because it also can deteriorate. Eating healthy, getting enough sleep, and exercise will improve your overall health.

Give Yourself Time It’s normal not to like college right away. Remember, it’s a huge change, and it does take time. Eventually, you’ll overcome your homesickness and have the best time of your life.

Giselle is a junior at the University of Indianapolis studying Sports Communications and Spanish. Born in Chicago, she is a huge sports fanatic especially the Chicago Bulls.She loves listening to Shawn Mendes, eating Puerto Rican rice, and wishes dogs can talk.
Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Indy/ Class of 2022/ Marketing and Political Science / Feminist/ Aquarius