This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Indy chapter.

Feel that crisp, cool breeze just dance across your skin and give you goosebumps? However you prefer to refer to it, whether it be fall or autumn, it is finally here! Besides being the season of the spook, fall is such a cozy, cool season. From beverages that warm the soul to fabulous fall fashion trends, there is so much to appreciate this time of the year. In no particular order, here are some common fall favorites in case you forgot since last October what the excitement is all about.

1. Happy Halloween!

Of course one of the best things October has to offer is the spookiest night of the year, Halloween! This spooktacular holiday has so many ways to celebrate…haunted houses, binging

horror movies, decorating the house with spine-chilling skulls and fake spiders (the skulls are also fake…I hope), and dressing up as your favorite ghoul or character. Don’t forget those classic ole’ pumpkin buckets filled to the tip top and overflowing with candy! There’s a special feeling that hovers in the air for Halloween fans, and no I don’t mean the movie. My heart just feels giddy once the stores begin stocking up on these festive goodies. The possibilities to scare yourself and your friends are endless!

2. Pumpkin Spice…EVERYTHING!

Mmm…nothing can compare to the first sip of a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte, especially when it is paired with a pumpkin spice pastry! Oooh, I just got the chills! I’m pretty sure there is nearly a pumpkin spice flavored everything…donuts, ice cream, granola bars, yogurt, cakes and cookies, and even marshmallows! Fall is all about pumpkin patches and pumpkin flavored nummies. These limited time only treats really put you in the moment, but they can also pull at your heart-strings when it is nearing the end of the season. Don’t take away my pumpkin spice, NOooOOOooO! Somone! Fuel my body with pumpkin flavored something, STAT! 3. Caramel Apples: The Treat We Never Knew We Missed

We usually never really think about caramel apples throughout the majority of the year. But, once fall hits it’s like BAM! Oh, those exist! Next time you visit an apple orchard, put that on your list of things to do—er—eat. Caramel is just one of those must have fall flavors. Whether you like to munch on the actual caramel apple or enjoy caramel apple flavored treats like those wonderful lollipops I obsess over every year, treat yourself, cuz’ you deserve it!

4. Hot Chocolate to Warm the Soul

Pumpkin spice is bomb and all, but that cup of warm milk chocolate topped with marshmallows warms the body and soul and puts a smile on your face. Hot chocolate isn’t just a winter luxury. This drool-worthy drink is delicious, especially on chilly fall nights!

5. Cozy Sweaters

Wearing comfy, cozy sweaters during the fall hits different. I love a good oversized hoodie or sweatshirt to lounge in, or an elegant sweater to hit the town. It is so satisfying being able to bury your hands in the sleeves of your sweater. Gloves? Who is she? The freedom of being able to slap those around you who aren’t keeping 6 feet during the pandemic with your floppy sleeves is all around lovely. The greatest thing about sweaters is it is when comfort meets style! 6. Lace Up Those Boots

A bold pair of boots can make almost any gal feel confident. Cute booties and daring combat boots level up your outfit to boss lady: Don’t mess with her because her fashion is fierce! Strutting down the sidewalk, hallway, or even the aisle of the grocery store is extra dramatic when you’re sporting a pair of these bad boys!

7. Fall Fashion

From the cozy sweaters to the killer boots, to the stylish scarves and charming hats, fall fashion is freakin’ amazing! Ever wanted to recreate those darling looks on Pinterest? Well, if you haven’t tried yet, then this year may be your time to shine! You can find cute accessories at just about any clothing store, and I have also found some unique pieces at thrift shops and Goodwill. One of my favorite outfits is pairing a comfy sweater with leggings, cute boots, a scarf, and either a beanie, fedora, or a baker boy hat. Fall fashion is a combination of chill and chic.

8. Snuggly Blankets & Cuddly Extras

Pile on those blankets, pillows, and plushies and cuddle with your favorite pet or person, or better yet, both! Snuggling up to your sweetheart during an at home movie date night is wholesome and heart-warming. Of course, a purring cat or an adorable pup on your lap is a plus. While we’re trying to survive midterms, don’t forget to fit in time to wind down and relax. Your mental state will thank you.

9. Tumblr/Instagram Worthy Photos

The fall aesthetic I believe is almost every Instagrammer and Tumblr girl’s dream to capture each year. The bright, bold colors of the trees scream “picture worthy!” Deck out your feed with some dreamy autumn scenes that really pull the viewer into the setting.

10. Thanksgiving

Sometimes I feel like Thanksgiving doesn’t get the praise anymore like it should. People always rattle on about the food, but rarely ever discuss the true purpose of celebrating Thanksgiving with our loved ones. Yeah, sure, the pumpkin pie is great (it truly is), but this holiday in November is a day where you take in the moment to spend time with your family and friends and appreciate all the good that has happened in your life so far. With the internet and our diminishing attention spans, we forget to thank the little things for existing sometimes. This is the perfect time to settle down for a moment and remind yourself and others that life truly is awesome. 11. Crunchy & Colorful Leaves

Remember jumping into a heaping pile of leaves that your parents raked up when you were a kid? Or maybe you still do that? However you do you, crunchy leaves awaken the youth we all possess in our hearts, just waiting for the right time to come alive! The changing of the leaves on the trees is a beautiful transformation. The range of colors is stunning, especially when you’re looking down a long road and all you see is a mixture of red, yellow, and orange, the blending of colors like a painting come to life. It’s all fun and games until you hear crunching leaves behind you and no feet to match the sound. So either that person unfortunately became invisible during the worst (or best) time of the year, or there’s a ghost stalking you and you should follow what wise Shaggy and Scooby did and that’s hightail it out of there, man!

12. Fall Scented Candles, The Fall Scent in General

I love that familiar feeling of walking into a store and immediately catching a whiff of pumpkin, apple, cinnamon, and candy. These smells really hit at my nostalgia for this time of the year. Bringing the autumn smells into your home with fall scented candles are lovely additions to make your place feel warm and extra homey, like those Hallmark movies we all have a love/hate relationship with.

13. Bonfires and S’mores

What perfect way to end a nice fall night with friends than having a bonfire and a s’mores party!? It is the perfect chilly weather to lean closer to the fire without feeling your face is melting, unless you are really close, in which case you should probably inch back a bit. Trust me, the marshmallows should be melting, not you. The fun of telling scary stories while heating up that white blob on a stick to build that ooey gooey treat is a memorable experience that you’ll look forward to recreating every year.

I am a singer, writer, content creator, and a senior creative writing major and music minor attending the University of Indianapolis. I love expressing myself on the internet through performance, song, and fashion. You can follow my creative journey on social media as Sierrallstar! ⭐ Stars cannot shine without darkness ⭐
Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Indy/ Class of 2022/ Marketing and Political Science / Feminist/ Aquarius