This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Indy chapter.

The Covid-19 pandemic made looking, applying, and interviewing for a job a much more complicated process than what it already was. Less and less jobs were hiring, yet more and more people were looking than ever before. Plus, there were recent college graduates hoping to secure a job or internship after graduation that simply was not available. Now, as we near the end of the pandemic, more jobs are searching for employees to fill the holes left behind during the beginning of 2020. What has changed in the job market because of the pandemic? How do you secure a job in the post Covid-19 world we are almost living in?

First, don’t be afraid to network virtually. Because there are still limited opportunities to meet and network with professionals in person, you will more than likely be networking via Zoom, Google Meets, and other forms of virtual meeting rooms. If you’re not already, get comfortable with virtual meeting sites so that way you look more professional and prepared during your meeting. According to themuse.com, ways you can network has expanded to social media sites like Facebook and LinkedIn as there are groups in your field that you can join to expand your personal network.

Second, be open to working remotely and keeping yourself flexible. Many companies are still keeping their workers at home to protect against spreading the virus. However, it is looking like remote work is here to stay. According to Forbes.com, remote work is beneficial not only to employees, but also to employers for a few reasons. First, for companies that are fully remote, they have access to hiring people from multiple geographic areas, and are not limited by being within a specific state. Second, companies and employees can save financially from remote work. One study showed that companies could save $22,000, and workers could save anywhere from $2,000 – $5,000 on average by working remotely. Lastly, and this is more so a side benefit, remote working is beneficial for the environment as reducing the amount you drive to work will lower air pollution, greenhouse gasses, and the carbon footprint due to using your vehicle less. Finally, take the time to review and revise your resume and cover letters. According to biospace.com, because of the large influx of candidates looking and applying for the same position as you, making your resume stand out in a positive way could help you get the interview. When writing your resumes, make sure that you don’t overemphasize your professional credentials, that your resume is no longer than a page, and concentrate on your word choice. Because many resumes are sifted through electronic scanners, it’s important to use keywords that the scanner will pick up on. For your cover letters, try not to present a template cover letter as those can be considered boring and not unique to potentially employers. You want to stand out, so make sure your cover letter stands out with you. You want to also prevent various professional credentials and use the first two or three sentences to grab the readers attention. However, try not to use the same attention grabber in every cover letter. Vary it a little based on the job you’re applying for.

Communication Major Political Science Major Concentration in Human Communication Member of the UIndy Honors College Her Campus at Indy Campus Correspondent