Why Taylor Swift and I are Never, Ever, Ever Getting Back Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Once upon a time, a curly haired blonde girl from Nashville told me that “it was a love story” and that I should “say yes.” So I did. But now I’m not so sure, and this is more than cold feet. She may have multiple Grammys and countless other awards and she may have broken world records in music, but I don’t care. I am so over Taylor Swift. In fact, a lot of people are over Taylor Swift. America’s Sweetheart has fallen from grace and I have some ideas as to why. Hear me out.

Reason Number One: Her Voice

Everyone was up in arms over the “Friday” singer Rebecca Black’s terrible voice, but when Taylor Swift sounds horrible, millions of people buy her music. I’ve watched Rebecca Black sing on YouTube with only a piano accompaniment and the girl can actually sing. I’ve also watched Taylor Swift sing live on TV and YouTube and there’s no redemption there. T-Swift fans need to face the music and realize the girl with the Tim McGraw song is nowhere near as talented as Tim McGraw.

Reason Number Two: Her Relationships

I don’t have the time or energy to name every boy and man Taylor Swift has been associated with, but Google does, if you’re interested. In the beginning, her heartache was our reward. She wrote the best breakup songs and seemed to know exactly how we were feeling. Then she went a little overboard by milking the Joe Jonas thing, and then there was the John Mayer thing, and then there was the Connor Kennedy thing, and so on. People are a little fed up with her dating life not matching her “good girl” attitude.

Reason Number Three: Her Sound

At the 2013 People’s Choice Awards, Taylor Swift won the award for Favorite Country Artist. I immediately sent out several angry tweets in response to this because Taylor Swift is not a country artist, at least not anymore. Her first self-titled album was definitely country and her second album, “Fearless,” was also in that genre. With her third album “Speak Now,” things got a little unclear but were still more country than not. With her fourth and current album “Red” it is beyond clear that Taylor Swift is not a country artist. “I Knew You Were Trouble” is Dubstep for crying out loud. Her songs play on Hip-Hop/R&B stations. Heck, they play on every station. It’s time to stop nominating her for country awards. That ship has sailed.

Overall, I’m over Taylor Swift. The sweet, curly haired girl from Nashville is now a whiny girl with straightened hair who dates all the men in LA and sings dubstep poorly. While I’ll admit her songs are still catchy, that doesn’t change the fact that she can’t sing very well or that she pretends to be a country artist when she’s not. Sorry T-Swift, but I’m breaking up with you. Feel free to write a song about it.