Why Good Humor Is Rare, And Very Few People Are Actually Funny

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Have you ever seen someone so funny, you think “How are they so effortless?” Some people are just naturally humorous they attract others like a magnet and leave them in stitches. It’s the charisma that quick wit brings to any conversation they could be in whether professional or social.

In this article, we’ll take a look at a few reasons why some have great humor, and how it can be a wonderful quality worth making an effort for.

Comedic Timing

It is as clear as day that sensitivity to timing and situational relevance make comedic magic. A key to these two ideas is observing the people and surroundings in any situation, and remembering relatable details that you can play in the right fields of time. It also means that you’re more likely to turn any awkward interaction into a fun, joyful experience that makes people comfortable around you. Polishing your wordplay and timing does take a little time but once you learn the art of it, it becomes second nature.

Culture and Background

With joke-telling comes an unmistakable challenge of resonating with diverse audiences. A person’s upbringing, and childhood, according to me, play a huge role in determining their aptitude for good humor. Interactions with people and situations as a child, parental influence and family dynamics almost always are what expose an adult to different types of comedic sensibilities. For example, if you grew up in a household where sarcasm was the language of love, chances are you’ll carry that wit into adulthood. If you were ever surrounded by people from every part of the world and were in conversation learning about their lives, it also happens that you pick up on jokes from their culture and families. One very important attribute of good humor is the ability to include everyone or most people because it isn’t a joke if only some find it funny.

Personality and life

An individual’s personal background, education and life experiences, also shape their humor. Factors like socio-economic status, education level and exposure to diverse perspectives influence the types of jokes someone finds amusing and how they use humor to navigate social situations. More often than not, funny people aren’t afraid to be themselves in any circumstance they may be in, familiar or unfamiliar, they just make humor a way of life. At times, making fun of things could even be a coping mechanism to avoid overthinking or wallowing in not-so-great moments, which by itself becomes a personality trait, and sometimes leads to acquiring a dark or self-destructive sense of humor.

Now, although a handful may come with an innate comedic flair, it isn’t always daunting to start somewhere and build a taste for comedy. It’s all about observation, making connections and practice, practice, practice. It’s a process just like any other which can be quite promising when you see its effects in play real time. After all, who wouldn’t want to hear that they’re a riot and that people just can’t get enough of their company?

Hi, I am Jana! I am a sophomore in Electrical Engineering and Business, and I am largely invested in fashion, lifestyle, and food, so I share in writing what I see and like for everyone to share a part of my enthusiasm. I love uncovering new avenues to life, and write about anything that challenges my outlook. Make sure to keep an eye out for my future articles!