While You Were Out… What’s New in the C-U!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As is the case with most college towns, UIUC’s usually bustling population takes a dramatic dive over the summer months, leaving a number of students in awe over the most minute of changes upon their return. Inevitably, each school year brings a new batch of campus buzz (last year’s was Red Lion and the Ikenberry Commons), and this year is no exception. Thus, Her Campus Illinois has created an exclusive guide to all things new and improved in Chambana, from Green Street venues to downtown hot spots. Read up and get out!

CAMPUS

The Beach- Sun & Spa: Previously “Electric Beach,” the popular tanning salon has moved from its Green Street location to 502 E. John Street (next to Underground Printing and Fat Sandwich). Aside from their usual tanning and spray tan options, The Beach has added massages and other spa treatments to their list of services—even more ideal for a break between classes!

Photo

Pita Pit: A favorite Green Street eatery for many, the international pita chain has closed its doors on the main drag and will be reopening on Sixth Street, next to Flat Top Grill. Pita lovers needn’t fear!

DOWNTOWN CHAMPAIGN

Destihl Restaurant & Brew Works: Although it opened its doors on April 20, many students have yet to experience the American artisan cuisine and creatively fused craft beer Destihl has to offer. From stone oven pizzas to cedar plank salmon, Destihl is a great (and reasonably-priced!) destination for your next dinner date or birthday celebrations.
301 North Neil Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Cream & Flutter Bakery:  New to the 217 this past May, Cream & Flutter Bakery took over the storefront that many students knew as Cakes on Walnut. The fairly new bakery prides itself on amazing food and beautiful design, and carries a very warm, old-fashioned vibe. The perfect stop for your next lazy weekend afternoon!
114 N Walnut Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Photo

Quality: Downtown Champaign’s newest bar, Quality boasts a classy, more mature ambiance while staying on par with the local alcohol lineup standard. Both long tables for large crowds and smaller spaces for a more intimate vibe are present here, along with darts, an outside patio, and an old-school game table. Definitely a must-see for the university’s 21+ crowd.
110 N Neil Street
Champaign, IL 61820

URBANA

Panchero’s Mexican Grill: Previously featured on the HC Illinois website, Panchero’s Mexican Grill is officially open for business! This Mexican fast-service food chain is most famous for their completely customizable burritos, but is also a sure bet to satisfy any guacamole or queso cravings!
102 E University Avenue Suite B
Urbana, IL 61801

Photo