What the Hay Should You Wear to Barn Dance?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

On the University of Illinois campus, students are infatuated with fall. What’s not to love? There’s football season, block, pumpkin spice lattes and most importantly, it marks the beginning of everyone’s favorite time of the year: barn dance season.

With barn dance season comes a whole slew of fun activities, like singing along to your favorite country songs, hanging out with all of your best friends and spending the night dancing and playing in the hay. Oh, and let’s not forget that this is the perfect time to break out your cutest country-inspired outfit!

However, sometimes planning the perfect outfit can be stressful. But don’t worry, there are a ton of options out there. Here are some of collegiettes’ favorite looks for the best night of the year!

The Classic Barn Dance Ensemble

It’s common knowledge that plaid is the standard when it comes to barn dance. If you’re the type of girl going for the classic look, a plaid shirt should be your go-to. Decide if you want it to be loose or fitted, and go from there. A loose plaid shirt will give your look a more relaxed, laid-back vibe while a fitted shirt can give your look a girly touch.

Equally classic for barn dance is a pair of jean shorts. High-waisted cut off jean shorts are the standard these days, but don’t be afraid of stepping out of that mold. For colder weather, swap in a pair of dark wash jeans. Finish off with a pair of cowboy boots or sneakers, and you’re ready to go.

‘Merica Themed Outfit

Barn dance has become synonymous with celebrating America. If this is the look you’re going for, then you’re in luck. Patriotic clothing has been very popular in stores lately, so you’ll easily be able to find something with an American flag on it, whether it be a crop top, shorts, sweater or bandana. And on the off chance that you can’t find something with a flag on it, just find apparel in red, white and blue, and you’ll look just as festive as the rest!

Country Chic

If you’re looking for something a bit more flirty, try a cute dress! Anything flowy with very little structure in a floral print will work best for this event. Rompers and jumpsuits are super popular right now, so if you want a trendier look, you’ll easily be able to find a floral or country inspired one that works for this occasion. Top it off with a pair of cowboy boots for a super sweet, feminine look perfect for the barn.

Remember that layers are your best friends as we embrace colder weather. Any of these outfits can be modified by adding a chambray shirt, quilted vest or other jacket over your attire.

So, let’s embrace the upcoming fall and get ready for a favorite seasonal tradition! Barn dance only comes around once a year, so don’t waste time worrying about what to wear. These country-inspired outfits are perfect to keep you looking festive and stylish all night long.

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.