Style

Ways to Stay Fashionable Despite the Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Staying warm in the winter is a top priority, especially when walking to and from classes. The thick sweatpants and ugly hoodie seem to call to you from the closet; it can be difficult to put together a cute outfit in the cold weather because of warmth and comfort. Here are six easy, simple pieces that can improve your winter outfit: 

Beanies

Whether you are wearing leggings and a hoodie or jeans and a nice sweater, wearing a beanie can spice up your outfit. They look cute and keep your ears warm, making it a win-win situation.

Scarves

Scarves also keep you warm and can make an outfit look more put together. Plaid is a popular design, but woolly scarves can look good if paired with the proper outfit, and are warmer too.

Teddy Bear Jackets

One of the biggest trends this winter is the teddy bear or sherpa jacket. They come in all colors, vary slightly in design and are sold in many stores such as Urban Outfitters and Forever 21. Zaful, an online clothing website, is popular for their cute and reasonably-priced teddy bear jackets as well. 

Turtlenecks

Turtleneck sweaters or shirts are comfortable, warm your neck and improve your outfit. They can also be paired with many winter pants like leggings, jeans and even sweatpants if coordinated properly. 

Long socks

Though it may seem like an insignificant fashion statement, wearing socks that come just above your boots is a small but pretty look. Wear leggings, white long socks and boots to upgrade the bottom part of your outfit.

Sunglasses

Wearing sunglasses in the winter sounds silly, but the sun does still shine in the winter. If it snows, the whiteness can also be blinding. Wear a pair of shades to make your outfit more chic and cute.

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4 | Photo 5 | Photo 6

Julie Kang

Illinois '20

Julie Kang is a Journalism major at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In her free time, Julie enjoys ice skating, shopping, talking and eating with friends and reading. Follow her on Instagram at @julieebaaby
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.