The University Makes Life A Little Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The main purpose of my.illinois is to give University of Illinois students a place where all the information they need and want most about their education is all in one location.  Students are able to not only search, but register for classes, check their grades, check their university e-mail, look up their I-Card information or student account balance, access their NetFiles, look up student and faculty Directory information, and check the calendar of events, and have access to university announcements and news.  This may seem overwhelming and complicated to navigate, but the layout of the page is actually very simple.

Photo

The campus switched to this system to simplify things for students.  Students no longer have to go to several different websites to get access to their personal information.

At the top left corner of the page there are four tabs.  The home tab will take you to the main page where campus announcements and your own personal announcements are displayed.  You can also check your e-mail and the weather on this page as well.  Links to other campus websites are also shown so if what you need is not on my.illinois, you can still get there from the website. 

The Academics tab is to the right of the home tab.  From here you are able to look up your class, registration, records, course information, and resources.  You can register for class, look up courses, fin a campus map, check compass and online course information as well as use library services using the My Classes sub-tab. 

By clicking on the Registration sub-tab you can not only register for classes, but there are also instructions on registration, information about courses schedules and requirements, and academic calendars.

If you want to get information about your grades, how you GPA is calculated, and your transcripts click on the Records sub-tab.  You can also find you degree process, and personal information on this page as well.
The Course sub-tab will tell you everything you need to know about scheduling classes and what classes are even available.  This is where you can also get information on switching majors and different programs of study at the University.

It is under the Resources sub-tab that you can find information on different academic resources available to you as a student.  You can also find student code links and computing technology links.

On the right of the Academics tab is the Finance tab.  Here you can find information on financial aid.  There are different links to scholarships, your personal financial aid status, student employment, and a link to the Office of Student Financial Aid.  This tab also will show you your student account balance and account information.

The last tab that you can click on is the Campus Life tab.  This tab will give you links to different campus websites.  It also will give you the news on campus and information about the different sports team on campus.

Overall, my.illinois is very useful for any student on campus.  It is really customized to each student’s individual needs and wants.  

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!