Turn Heads On The Beach This Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The time has finally come to ditch the homework, midnight coffee runs, and cold weather because spring break is here at last and it is much needed! Whether you have plans to party with your friends in Padre, relax poolside with a margarita in hand or have a relaxing staycation with your family the following are 5 beauty essentials to help you refresh and look your best this spring break!

1.     Color, color, color!

It’s all about bright, bold colors this spring so don’t be scared to throw on that statement nail polish. To wear this trend, look no further then Essie’s 2013 Spring Collection! Essie’s 6 new shades provide the perfect color pop for lounging out on the beach. My favorites include a bold blue called Avenue Mountain and a lilac shade called Bond With Whomever. The trick to wearing these color splashes is confidence. So don’t worry about rocking your electric blue shade. You will look great and others will notice!

2.     Tousled Tresses

Gone are the days of perfectly pin straight hair, it’s time to put away the straightening balms and flat irons and embrace your natural waves! There’s no place more perfect to achieve this look then the beach, so while relaxing in the ocean make sure to let the water completely saturate your hair. When it dries from the sun you will have achieved the ultimate beach wave look! Staying home this break? No worries, just try Bumble and Bumble’s surf spray! Work it through damp or dry hair and let it dry naturally: the result will be sexy, windblown styles. It creates the exact same look minus the annoying sand.

3.     Highlight Inner Eye Corners

Now this is one of my all time favorite beauty secrets that is bound to change your look in seconds. Next time after finishing your eye shadow and eyeliner, add a tiny amount of highlighter to the inner corner of your eyes. After, apply your mascara as usual. This small step brightens up your face and creates the illusion of bigger eyes. I recommend emphasEYES Inner Rim Brightener in Nude. Don’t have money to spend on a fancy highlighter? Light colored eye shadows work just as well!

4. Lip Stick Who?  

Leave the lipstick at home this break. Instead try a lip balm with an SPF to protect and moisten your lips. One of my favorites is Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15 in Coral. It’s filled with vitamins A, C, and E and the hydrating treatment nourishes while protecting your lips under the harsh sun. What’s even better is that coral is a color that tends to compliment most skin tones because it brightens your skin without washing it out. This balm will make your lips all the more kissable and you never know what might happen on the beach!

5.     Skip the Sunburn.

I know it’s not everyone’s favorite, but sunscreen truly is the number one beauty essential for spring break! Since most of you will be outside for the majority of the day it’s important to use a sunscreen with at least an SPF of 30. Experts recommend you use 1 ounce (or about a shot glass full) of sunscreen for your entire body and make sure to apply around 15 minutes before you go outside. Try L’Oreal Sublime Sun Advanced Suncreen with SPF 30 for protection that’s not greasy and will stay on. Your skin will thank you that it’s getting the protection it needs from harmful rays. Besides who wants to return to campus with burnt cheeks?