The Truth Behind Sleeping with Makeup On: How Bad Is It Really?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

We’ve all heard the beauty myth that sleeping with your makeup on is like, really bad. But the question is, how harmful is it actually? Sometimes after a long day, it’s nice to take the easier route and just pass out with a full face of makeup on. However, multiple dermatologists highly recommend against this, and as it turns out, the effects are more damaging than you could think.

Dr. Erin Gilbert, a dermatologist, says that some makeup is worse than others. “Foundations and thick, oil-based primers are often the worst offenders,” she says. “They prevent the skin from renewing itself naturally at night, causing blackheads, acne and dullness.”

Of course, it’s easy to guess that sleeping with heavy foundation on can increase the risk of acne and clogged pours. But, what many people don’t realize is that sleeping with your makeup on also causes premature aging. This is because foundation clogs your pores while you sleep, breaking down the collagen, making it ineffective. Collagen is important because it’s what keeps your skin firm, or essentially, from aging.

Another factor is eye makeup. We tend to think we’re home free once we’ve washed our face, but eye makeup is unhealthy in its own way. Sleeping with eyeliner, mascara and/or eye shadow can leave your eyes itchy, red and irritated the following morning. Eyes are also more susceptible to infection, so if you’re sleeping with makeup around them, you are more likely to get infections or develop cysts on your eyes. Another scary factor is that sleeping with mascara on is a quick, fast way to lose precious eyelashes.

If you’ve been sleeping your makeup on, you’re not alone. 81 out of 120 (nearly two thirds) of University of Illinois females admitted they consistently sleep without taking their makeup off.

Sophomore Zhenia Eskina is one of the exceptions. Eskina said from an early age she has practiced taking her makeup off before going to sleep, and this is because it helps keep her skin clear. “Sleeping with makeup on just makes me feel gross,” she said, “And it’s easier because your face is already clean the next day.”

Avoid acne and premature aging by simply keeping disposable makeup wipes within close reach of your bed. These wipes aren’t as thorough as a full soap and water wash, but they can get the job done quick and easy. Or, try to break the habit altogether and leave yourself extra time to clean your face at night. It’s a few extra minutes that can not only rejuvenate your skin, but also keep you looking younger longer, and who doesn’t want that? 

Photo sources:

http://watchfit.com/exercise/exercises-for-sleep-apnea/

http://15minutefashion.about.com/od/quickbeautytips/ig/Beauty-Sleep/Beau…

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.