This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Have you found yourself feeling nostalgic for your carefree teenage years?

Are you ready to take a trip through your precious memories that have been stuffed away like an old cardboard box in a dusty attic?

If you close your eyes for long enough can you hear the chords of Chocolate by The 1975 floating around the furthest edges of your mind?

The 1975 is a pop-rock band that was formed in 2002. Since then, the English musicians’ four albums have been the soundtrack of nearly everyone’s “good old days.”

If you religiously follow The 1975 across all of their platforms, you may have realized that their social media accounts have disappeared. If you listen to them casually, you may be confused as to why this is most likely a good thing.

If history repeats itself (like it so often does) The 1975 will begin a brand new era of their band. In the past, they have become untraceable while creating a brand new album with a brand new sound to shock their fans with. 

Are you ready for some new music to make memories to?

In honor of the possible new album from The 1975, it is only right that you get a list of the top 5 best songs written by the band.

5.) Menswear

“Menswear” appears on The 1975’s very first self-titled album called The 1975. The beginning of this song lacks lyrics, but the beautiful synthesized vocals and dreamy instrumentals make up for their absence. The song is about the chaos of a wedding gone wrong. Lead vocalist Matty Healy actually attended this event and shares the story of the wild experience through his lyrics– making the song a must-listen.

4.) Inside Your Mind

“Inside Your Mind” is featured on The 1975’s third album called A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships. This song is so relatable because everyone has experienced the emotions that are present in the lyrics– wanting to know exactly what is going on in your partner’s head. Healy is so desperate to know what his lover is thinking– even if that means he has to crack her head open to find the answers. Maybe it is a little scary, or maybe just morbidly romantic. You can decide. Take a listen.

3.) Tonight (I Wish I Was Your Boy)

From The 1975’s fourth studio album Notes On A Conditional Form, “Tonight (I Wish I Was Your Boy)” takes third place on this list. The song is a slow jam with sounds ranging from experimental alternative R&B to Jamaican pop. The unique sound makes this song worth listening to.  

2.) Somebody Else

“Somebody Else” is from The 1975’s sophomore album called I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it. This song sits at number two because the lyrics are so heartbreakingly good. The song is a reminder of the times when you had to watch someone that you love fall in love with someone else– and how hard the feelings that come with it are to accept. “Somebody Else” is a great song for when you are in the mood to reminisce. 

1.) Robbers

It is no secret that the 1975’s self-titled album called The 1975 is their best album to this date. This is the album that features the best song ever made… “Robbers”! This song was likely my most played song in 2014, and a feeling of complete joy still washes over me when I turn it on today. There are songs that get old after you listen to them 100 times, but this will never be one of those. I can still see flashbacks in my head of sitting in the passenger seat with my mom blasting this song with the windows down and wind running through my hair. Seriously– this song will change your life!

Let us begin manifesting the return of The 1975 and their best album yet to be released!

Molly Leichty

Illinois '22

Hello! I love to write about anything and everything. Welcome to my page!