The Top 5 Best Ways to Celebrate Game Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Football season is underway and one of the advantages of being at a Big Ten University is the countless options for celebrating game day. Check out these five ways to embrace football season!

Block I:

Block I offers a more interactive game day experience. You can watch the game live in Memorial Stadium, sit in the student section and participate in their card stunts. Being a member of Block I also allows you to enjoy their tailgate and the football-related events that they host. Whatever level of commitment you want to make it, if you have never sat in the Block I section on game day, you are seriously missing out.   

Block:

Block is a classic UIUC game day option. Yes, it definitely takes a lot of strength the get yourself out of bed that early on a Saturday morning to get to a bar, but it is totally worth it. You get to be surrounded by your friends, kick back in your orange and blue, and relax before the big game.  

Tailgating:

Tailgating is the obvious option to celebrate game day. Before you graduate, it is definitely worth it to tailgate before a game. Either get a spot in Grange Grove or post-up in a parking lot near the stadium. From there, bring drinks, snacks and break out the classic Midwestern game of bags (because no matter your skill level, you know you love it). Plus, once you have secured a tailgating spot you can go back after the game to pick up where you left off.

Grange Grove:

The recently updated Grange Grove offers a great place to hang out before the game if you aren’t quite committed enough to tailgate. You can walk around, stop by friends tailgates, listen to live music, watch the Marching Illini and just enjoy the stadium before the game. Plus, there is a designated student area in Grange Grove to hangout in, giving you a great way to get in the spirit of the game.  

Apartment Party:

If you’re looking for a more low-key and personal way to watch the game, have a few friends over for an apartment party. This way you can watch the game in the comfort of your apartment and celebrate how you want, be it a crazy party or just sitting around watching the game. Either way, you get to decide how you celebrate. It could even be fun to have a potluck and make a whole day of it, whatever you choose to do you can have the game day experience that suits you best!

Picture Links:

I'm a Journalism major at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. My passion is writing and I hope to do so for the rest of my life ~
Samantha Merkin

Illinois '18

.