Things to do Before Graduating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Senior year – It’s something we both love and hate to see. It’s awesome finally getting to be so close to the finish line (and finally being 21!) but it also means that the real world is creeping up on us. As I am about to be a senior myself, I know that I’m more than a little nervous about having to find a job after graduating and having to finally leave campus. So, I put together a list of things that U of I seniors should do to make their last year great. Not a senior yet? You should STILL do these!

1. Join the Mug Club at the Illini Inn
Definitely an Illini tradition! Join the Mug Club, hang out with friends at one of the less crowded bars, and then it’s only a quick walk upstairs to get some Second Story (Stone Baked) Pizza!

Photo

2. Plan a Spring Break trip with all of your friends
This may be one that you’ve already done before, so make sure to go all out for your senior year! This could be your last chance to ever have a real spring break, so get all of your friends together to chip in on a trip down to the beach for one last hurrah before finals.

3. Ease up on the stress!
Even though it’s stressful having to worry about finding a job and finish your last finals ever, don’t get too stressed out about them! You wouldn’t have made it to your senior if you weren’t smart and deserving it. You’ll pull them off fine, just like you have all your other finals in the years before, so try to be as stress-free as possible. Enjoy your time on campus!

4. Check out the off-campus bars
I know that some of the bars on campus are an Illini tradition on their own, such as KAMS, but don’t forget about all of the bars in downtown Champaign! Nate, a senior in Media here at U of I, said that visiting off-campus bars is one of his goals for the year. “This year, I want to make it to all of the bars downtown has. They’re different from the campus bars, but still a lot of fun.” It’s definitely worth the trip to check out High Dive, Seven Saints, Cowboy Monkey and several other bars. They’re usually less crowded and much closer to each other, making it easier to jump from place to place.

Photo – Highdive          

5. Ride the bull at KAMS
For those of you wanting to stay on campus, however, riding the mechanical bull at KAMS is a must. Senior in psychology Taylor has the KAMS bull on her graduation bucket list. “I’ve never ridden a mechanical bull and don’t know where else I ever would, so I definitely want to do this before I’m done with school.” It only happens once a month on country night, so be sure to get your cowboy boots out ASAP and get in line!

6. Join a new RSO on Quad Day
Quad Day is another Illini tradition that shows just how huge our campus is. It’s hard to walk by all of the booths set up by RSOs on campus, but by signing up for a group you haven’t been involved with before you make yourself that much more of a well-rounded student and allows you to keep meeting new people.

Photo

7. Ride the Rail at Legends
Every Tuesday night at Legends, there’s a list of different beer choices. Once you make it through the list–by drinking each beer 3 times–you’ve officially ridden the rail AND you get a free t-shirt! And as you know, anything that’s free in college is as good as gold.

8. Go to at least one Illini football or basketball game
You don’t need to be in Block I or Orange Krush to be able to enjoy the game, although the student sections DO have a lot of fun. You don’t even need to buy season tickets! Single game tickets to football or basketball games for good prices can be found at http://www.fightingillini.com/. See the Fighting Illini in action at the game of your choice!

These are only a few suggestions, but with a campus this big, there are SO many things to do that will make this year great. Senior year is something that we’ll never get back, so go out there and have fun with it!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!