This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s finally March and you’ve made it halfway through second semester. The sun is setting later, birds are chirping and most importantly, it’s getting warmer.  Welcome spring, we have missed you!  

flowers at sunset
Photo by Brian Garcia on Unsplash

Midterms are coming to an end and spring break is quickly approaching. You really don’t want to sit at home for an entire week but you’re not sure what to do. No plans for spring break? No problem! Stay local and take a short trip to Chicago. This city has so much to offer for all types of people with all types of interests. Here are the top 3 things to do in Chicago for spring break this year.

1. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Ferris Bueller himself once said, “life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” Here’s an idea: Pull a Ferris Bueller and take the day off! Head to the city for a fun-filled day trip. Book a ticket to see the best views of the city at the top of the Willis Tower and make sure to snap some pictures! Heights aren’t really your thing? No worries! Head over to the Art Institute of Chicago and you’ll find yourself at ease looking at famous works of art. All of the works of art featured in the movie are even still on display.  Can’t you hear the soundtrack in the back of your mind? Let’s continue with this day off. The Chicago Cubs may be in Arizona for spring training, but that doesn’t mean you can’t visit Wrigley Field. Take the Red Line up to the Addison stop and voila, you’re there! Starting in March, they offer stadium tours so make sure to snatch a ticket. Just don’t get caught by your school’s dean of course.

People viewing and walking around an exhibition/gallery.
Catherine Bixler

2. Two Words: Spa Day!

Midterms were rough to say the least so you’re looking to pamper yourself. Well, you’ve come to the right place! Grab your girls for a relaxing getaway in the Windy City. Chicago has too many spa destinations to count. Make a reservation at The Peninsula, Park Hyatt, or LondonHouse, just to name a few local favorites. Each has different packages that can be customized by you, for you. Spas like these offer various types of massages, facials, mani-pedis and more! Take the time to do some research before you go so that you can get the best experience.  

Chandler Long Day
Giphy

3. Michigan Avenue, Of Course

Last but most definitely not least, go shopping down Michigan Avenue. Everyone knows that this is the hot spot for all things shopping. Start at Michigan Ave. and E Walton St. and make your way south down Michigan Ave. This way, you’ll get the full experience. Stop for a bite to eat at Aster Hall or any of the restaurants along the way. For more of a mall vibe, head over to Water Tower Place; it surely has a store you love. What’s all the hype about the new Starbucks Reserve? Well, you’ll have to find out for yourself. It’s on the way, so check it out! Make sure to stop and gaze at the river when you cross over the bridge. Staring at the Chicago River may even inspire you to take a boat tour (highly recommend). As you can see, there are infinite things to do and see from just walking down one street. Have fun!

get in loser mean girls
Paramount Pictures

Senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign studying advertising and business. Currently serving as the Campus Correspondent for her chapter.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.