This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Is it just me or is coming back to your courses after spring break stressful? Personally, I feel as though the coursework is heavy, and there’s just so much to do! If you feel overwhelmed like I do, then here’s what we’re going to do.

Organization

For starters, let’s become organized. This means writing down all of your upcoming assignments and exams. Keep track of your classes, appointments, extracurriculars, etc. I know that becoming organized might be tedious and take forever, but it’s necessary. If you are the person who writes absolutely nothing down and goes off of your memory, then that’s great. However, try to write down what you have upcoming, so you can plan your week and your days around what you need to accomplish.

Attendance

Make sure to attend all of your classes even if attendance isn’t mandatory. At this point in the semester, it’s too easy to stop going to class. I understand that we’re probably all a little burnt out even though we just had spring break. Girl, just think about it. We have two months left of the academic school year. We have got this! We cannot give up now. With this being said, give yourself an incentive to go to class. Do whatever you have to do to have your butt in class!

Schedule + Plan

Each week, plan out all of the assignments and extra things that you need to get done. Allow yourself enough time to complete your coursework, and don’t overbook yourself. Admittedly, I have a problem with piling a lot of coursework on Monday, and then being disappointed when I don’t get all of my work done. The moral of the story: don’t overbook yourself like me. Give yourself adequate time for studying and completing assignments.

Be Productive

Productivity can look different for each person. Some people enjoy completing coursework in the comforts of their own room or space. Others find getting work done at a coffee shop more beneficial. Whichever type of person you are, work in the environment in which you are most productive. Put yourself in a space where you can work and work for hours (but take a little break obviously). When I sit down to WORK, I put on music and put my phone face down. I get in a mode to complete as much of what is on my agenda as possible.

Breaks + You Time

I cannot stress the importance of breaks enough. You need to allow your mind some time to rest when you’re continuously studying or doing work. My rule of thumb is that I need to take a break when I’m getting frustrated or when I’m starting to not understand what I’m reading. In the case of either of these situations, I’ve found taking a breather extremely helpful.

Among all of the time spent in class and completing academic coursework, you need time for yourself. This could mean going to the gym, reading a good book, scrolling on your phone, hanging out with friends, doing skin care, etc. You need to do multiple things a day for YOU. I know that it may feel like you’re drowning in coursework and stuff to do, but you need to do something that makes you feel good. Take some time for yourself, and put your mental health over your academic. YOU will always come first before a grade.

Autumn Bunzell

Illinois '27

Hi there! My name is Autumn Rose, and I'm from Utica, Illinois. I live minutes away from Starved Rock State Park. I attended LaSalle-Peru Township High School which consists of only about 1,200 students. Within my family, I'm the youngest in a close-knit household, and I have an older sister who I absolutely adore. As well, I have a golden retriever and a grey tabby cat. Currently, I'm a first-year neuroscience student at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. Both the physical and psychological aspects of the human brain fascinate me. In addition, I'm interested in nutrition and how this field can be applied to neuroscience. There is a field labeled nutritional neuroscience that studies how the consumption of food, minerals, and supplements impacts an individual's cognition, mood, and overall brain health. Outside of the classroom, my hobbies vary tremendously. Music wise, I listen to Bryce Vine and Bazzi, but I also love Etta Mae, Arethra Franklin, and Frank Sinatra. As I do my morning routine, I listen to health and wellness podcasts on Spotify. In between classes, I do yoga and Pilates. At night, I love to do some skincare, and then crawl into bed with one of my books. Typically, I partake in crocheting and baking in the colder months. As a side note, my favorite season is fall because of the cool weather and all of the pumpkin/apple candles, foods, coffees, etc.