How To Master The Perfect Shower Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

There’s a lot of different ideas about how to shower. There’s also “Wait, you’re supposed to shower a specific way?”

Everyone has a different routine and different things they focus on to clean themselves. I recommend a specific order to have the most time-efficient routine and to still make sure you’re taking care of your hair and skin. This goes without saying, but feel free to do any of these ideas or even none!

It’s important to make sure you clean your hair. Some people wash their hair every day, some people wash once a week and some do in between! I personally wash my hair every other day. I know a lot of people who wash their hair every day, but your hair becomes dependent on your shampoo. Moreover, washing your hair every day strips your hair and scalp of its natural oils. My hair gets greasy and flat on day 2, so I wash it every other day. I know some people who wash their hair every 4 or more days, and their hair is great on all 4 days. Everyone’s hair is different, so do what is best for you!

Moreover, it’s important to wash your face. You sweat and likely touch your faces with your hands, so there are bacteria there that can cause skin irritation and acne. It’s important to wash your face every day, but it can also be beneficial in the shower with the hot water and steam opening your pores.

Experiment with what skincare and haircare products work for you!

Now for my routine.

I start by rinsing my hair and face with water to get rid of any surface sweat or germs. I then get my shampoo and put a quarter-size amount in my palm and emulsify it. I then work it into JUST my scalp. Putting shampoo on the ends of hair tends to dry it out, so I don’t recommend it. To get into all the nooks and crannies, I use a scalp massager. While my shampoo sits, I apply my first face wash, which is a cleanser that targets acne. I have a vibrating face cleanser brush that I use for about 1-2 minutes. This helps to both exfoliate my skin and work deep into my pores. After that’s done, I rinse my shampoo and face wash out.

I squeeze as much water out of my hair and then get my conditioner. I use about a pea-sized amount and put it on JUST the ends of my hair. While that sits, I apply my face exfoliator scrub. I use my face cleanser brush again for usually a minute, to not over-exfoliate my skin. While both sit, I wash my body with body wash. If I need to shave, here is when I do so. I then clean my body and gently exfoliate it with a separate cleansing brush.

The most satisfying step for me is when I go back to being completely under the shower head and let my entire body be covered with water as I was everything out. I’ll start at my face, then my hair, and use my fingers to comb through the conditioner to get more of it out. Then I’ll make sure all the body wash is off.

Boom. Done. So relaxed and clean.

Sarah Kahn

Illinois '25

My name is Sarah Kahn and I am a Junior at the University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign! I am studying Information Sciences, along with pre-med. I love to play tennis, sing, listen to music, and spend time with my friends! I also love to paint and be creative in a multitude of outlets :) I really love all things related to self-care, wellbeing, and makeup! I have always been interested in these things and prioritized them into my daily routine.