This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Okay ladies, this is mainly for you…but guys, don’t tune out because you can use this advice too. For a girl growing up in our society, we are forced to believe in beauty. We are bombarded with television shows, magazine ads with skinny models, makeup being shoved in our face…the list continues. As a result, we are given an ingrained image as to who embodies the definition of beauty.

This raises an interesting question. Did we come up with these adjectives on our own, or has society already placed this impression of beauty in our heads. Looks like beauty might or might not be in the eye of the beholder.

I attended a talk by Ashley Coach, one of the founders of Verily Magazine. The magazine itself has gotten national attention for being the first fashion magazine to not use Photoshop with their models. During the talk, she asked us to close our eyes and think of another word for beauty. She asked to share the word we thought of; some said “sexy,” some said “skinny” some even said “perfect.”

Ashely said that we need to transform the way society sees beauty by supporting more holistic representations of women in the media, advertising, and in our communities and conversations.

I took Ashley’s message to heart and I wanted to stir up a conversation of beauty myself by using the best example I can think of- a beauty queen. I would think that most people have seen a pageant at one point, either watching it on television or going in person. Seeing those girls up there, we can only aspire to be those near “perfect” and beautiful girls, with their hair all done, wearing a lot of makeup and modeling gorgeous gowns.

However, what truly makes a beauty queen goes far deeper than just skin deep. Everyone can be a beauty queen and they don’t have to wear a crown to embody a confident, smart and beautiful woman. A woman who embodies these traits to their advantage and radiate positive energy can be successful in whatever they choose to do.

Ashley said this success starts with each one of us. First, we have to give ourselves permission to feel beautiful and believe that we already are. Then we have to train our brains to see beauty in new ways by building healthy habits that help us live a beautiful life. Lasting change happens through daily repetition over time.

Therefore, here are the 10 simple habits you can do in your everday routine to be a queen and find your crown.

Have a natural day every week. In a world that expects women to always look their best, sometimes you just need to have a day that you let your natural beauty shine. I call these “natural days,” which excludes makeup, hair products or anything that isn’t a part of your natural beauty. When you don’t rely on these products, we begin to see our beauty as ourselves, rather than making beauty a product.

Put pen to paper. Knowing your inner beauty is just as important as loving your outer beauty. Writing is the best way to let your thoughts out and know where your head’s at. Whether you were upset about something that happened in the day, or have insecurities that have been brewing, write it down, get it out and let it go. In addition to writing your frustrations, also write down your inspirations. It’s all about balance.

Surround yourself with other queens. Ever heard the phase “you are who you surround yourself with?” A queen must surround herself with other queens in order to fully embody her royal nature. Hang out with people who lift you up, rather than bring you down or engage you in thoughts and actions that hinder your potential.

Read everything and anything. Unfortunately, there is still a stigma against women being smart. Therefore, reading and gaining knowledge about the world are the first steps to creating a smart and confident persona (and no this doesn’t mean just reading your Facebook or Twitter feed). Read a book, a blog or an article. In reading different things about different topics, you will be introduced to a variety of opinions so that you can form your own, unique opinion.

Get beauty sleep. Rest up princesses, and I’m not talking about that four-hour power nap you take from time to time. In order to fully feel good, studies have found that 7 to 8 hours is the amount of sleep we should get a night, especially for someone who has a busy schedule. How do you fit that in? Try to make sure all homework and tasks are completed at least two hours before you want to go to bed. By doing this, you can give your body time to relax and wind down.

Drink up. There is no better remedy for heath and beauty than your daily dose of H2O – about two liters to be exact. Drink warm water or with lemon on an empty stomach in the morning to give your metabolism a boost. Try to limit alcohol consumption and stick to one cup of coffee today (coffee actually dehydrates you) and drink half to a full ounce of water for each pound you weigh. Overall, this is great for your skin, your digestive system and pretty much everything!

Compliment yourself. Admit it, we have all talked to ourselves. But have you ever looked in the mirror and said, “hey girl, you are really beautiful today.” Or try telling yourself, “hey, I like your hair,” or “you have a lot to do, but you are smart and can do it!” What we don’t hear all the time from others can easily be said to ourselves when we wake up or go to bed. Forming this friendship with yourself is the key to feeding your inner confidence!

Feed that rockin’ body. Speaking of feeding, you need to make sure you are giving your body plenty of yummy food. Eating and how much to eat is probably the top question women have. The media wants us to be thin, so women don’t eat. However, this is not the key to looking beautiful, and is the worst thing you can do for your health. Instead, feed your body beautiful nutritious food! Fill your fridge with fresh fruits and veggies and cook more of your meals. When you know what is going into your food, you will not only have a sense of control, but you can have fun cooking meals that will help your overall health!

Smile every single moment possible. A smile is contagious. Therefore, show those purely whites and share your smile with complete strangers walking down the street or waiting in line. You will feel beautiful and make the world a happier place in the process.

Go to bed saying 10 things you are grateful for. Someone told me that it is impossible to be sad when you are grateful. Therefore, think about those 10 things you are grateful for when you go to bed overwhelmed, or finding yourself sleepless thinking about the next day’s to-do list. A true queen never rules completely alone, so thanking your friends, family and abilities is the perfect way to wear your crown.

Felling beautiful yet? I truly believe the idea of beauty should be redefined to portray the real queen we all are. So take your crown, say thank you to all who support you and love you, and smile and show your confidence. In the end, we can use our beauty to convince the world that the true definition of beauty is someone who is perfectly content with who they are. When you do that, no one can stop you.

Photo Sources:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/cba5a762bfb803c0fe85f3d4a42ddefd/tumblr_n8uwj…

http://i.giphy.com/pQJkG4dbYDQUU.gif

http://i.giphy.com/gRspJiurqOgve.gif

http://i.giphy.com/ze2g5TPjL5wVa.gif

http://i.giphy.com/vRAquklsroA36.gif

http://i.giphy.com/tk2vlgb27IPni.gif

Senior at the University of Illinois