Tackling the World of Online Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

“Whoever said money can’t buy you happiness clearly didn’t know where to shop.”  I don’t know who said this quote but it couldn’t be more true!  If you’re like me, then shopping is your cure for everything, from a bad day to boy problems.  Shopping is changing, however.  Online shopping is becoming the next big thing and my new favorite past time.

If you have never purchased anything online, it can be somewhat overwhelming.  That is why I’m here to give you a few online shopping tips, as well as four great websites to start your search for the summer’s best buys.

Helpful Tips:
1. If you are an indecisive shopper, then try purchasing items on websites with free returns. Return rates are high on some sites!
2. Don’t assume your size. Make sure you look at size charts to give you a better idea of how different stores’ sizing systems work.
3. Look at product reviews.  This is a great feature online and it will help you decide if the product is worth buying.
 4. Have fun! Make an online wish list and fill it up with everything that catches your eye.  Later, go through it and pick out exactly what you want to buy.

Awesome websites to begin your shopping adventure:

Modcloth.com

This website has everything from clothes and shoes to accessories and home décor.  Comparable to Urban Outfitters, this site has super cute dresses and tops for summer. Prices vary but are quite reasonable.

Forever21.com

If you’re like me, shopping in a Forever 21 store drives you crazy.  The disorganization and mess often makes it difficult to find just what you need, which is why the website is perfect.  The site has tons of products and is always up to date on latest trends.  Plus, you can never go wrong with Forever 21’s prices.  

Lulus.com

This website is similar to Forever 21, however, it has slightly better quality products.  Another great thing about this site is that is has more formal wear. So, if you’re in the market for a dress to wear to a summer wedding, check this website out.  It also has free shipping on purchases of $75 or more!

Gojane.com

Along with plenty of clothing options, Gojane.com has super cute heels and shoes perfect for summer.  The best part is that most of them are under $30!  What could be better than that?  

Happy Shopping!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!