SUPERBOWL XLVII 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Super Bowl Sunday was quite the evening for many Americans. What drew you to tune in on the big day? Was it the sibling rivalry between the two head coaches, Beyoncé’s fierce half-time performance, or was it the creative and catchy commercials? 

The game was played at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, LA. The big event that stirred some talk was the unexpected power outage. Early in the third quarter, the electricity in the Superdome went off. There was a 35-minute delay that changed the game. Before the power outage, the 49ers trailed the Raven by 22 points. Once the lights came back on, the 49ers were charged up and ready to go. Once action resumed, Colin Kaepernick and the 49ers scored 17 consecutive points, getting the score to 31-29. In the end, the Baltimore Ravens were NFL champions with a 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers. Ray Lewis was the center of attention, playing in the final game of his 17-year career before retiring. Joe Flacco, the Ravens quarterback, was named Super Bowl MVP because of his outstanding performance: 22 of 33 passes for 287 yards and three touchdowns.

In addition to the excitement about the Ravens’ big win, Beyoncé’s performance was exceptional! Beyoncé’s half-time performance was nothing short of great! The tone at the beginning of the performance was serious. She appeared onstage in all black, singing lines from her R&B hit “Love on Top.” Fire and lights burst from the sides of the dark, black stage. She then went into her hit, “Crazy In Love”. Beyoncé’s voice, confidence and sex appeal grew as she worked the stage in her 13 minute set. A few moments later there was a Destiny’s Child reunion, which included the members, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams. Beyoncé finished her set strong with her song, “Halo.”