Sugar Daddies: Not So Sweet After All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Let’s admit it, every girl dreams about how luxurious life would be if they had a “sugar daddy” by their side. Unfortunately, there is a huge difference between daydreaming and reality. A week ago, BBC News released an article about the shocking increase of HIV among young girls in South Africa. According to the article, 28% of school girls in South Africa have contracted the virus through older male financial supporters, also known as the infamous “sugar daddies” (BBC News: Africa, 2013). The issue of sugar daddies exploiting young girls is a growing problem in South Africa. Majority of these girls find a hard time paying their bills and education loans so they resort to befriending single rich men who offer luxurious lifestyles and financial support. Additionally, recently these rich South African men are also responsible for vastly spreading AIDS among young school girls and this is becoming a growing concern for the nation.  

Along with countries in the global south, the United States has been facing a similar “sugar daddy” epidemic, as well. Young college women across the country also have adopted the idea of building relations with rich older men who are willing to pay for their personal expenses. According to the NY Post, hundreds of female students from Columbia, Cornell, Syracuse, and New York University have signed up for dating sites, like SeekingArrangements.com, in order to find suitable sugar daddies (Rosenberg & Fenton, 2013). The average amount of money these girls get monthly from their providers vary from $3,000 to $4,000, depending on cost of living in cities. Majority of the female students who sign up for these sites keep it hidden from their families and are often victims of domestic violence and abuse.

With the cost of living rising in today’s fast-paced world, it is understood why so many young women would be desperate to seek sugar daddies. Regardless of how desperate the situation is, college girls should consider weighing their options wisely. Getting a sugar daddy to pay all your bills and buy you Louis Vuitton bags may seem appealing, but it also comes with a heavy price tag. In some cases, they spread horrifying diseases like AIDS and in other cases they assault young girls.

Work Cited

BBBC News Africa. (2013, March 13). Retrieved from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21783076

Rosenberg, R., & Fenton, R. (2013, Jan 15). More city co-eds turning to sugar daddies for school support. NY Post. Retrieved from http://www.nypost.com/p/news/l…