Life > Academics

Study Spots Around Campus: Loud, Quiet, Near And Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Studying is often a dreaded task, something people procrastinate and postpone. For many, studying in their own room is unhelpful and many look for a different space to do their work. Throughout the U of I campus, there are countless study spots. Here are a few of my favorites.

Caffe Paradiso

Recently, my friends and I have spent many days sitting in the beautiful Caffe Paradiso. Since it’s a coffee shop and is often quite busy, it’s not necessarily a quiet study spot. However, if you are like me and enjoy a bit of noise and a good drink to liven up your studying, Caffe Paradiso is the spot for you. You can also enjoy the decorations, paintings, fairy lights and comfortable seating. I’m always much more productive in Paradiso than I am in my room, and it’s especially fun to go study with friends!

Campus Instructional Facility (CIF)

If you’re looking for a quieter study spot, CIF is a great option. There are plenty of tables around the building, an Espresso Royale inside with seating and big steps with cushions to lounge on. CIF has a quiet, sophisticated feel to it, so if you are looking for a place to be productive on your own with minimal distractions, give CIF a try!

The Union

The Union has become one of my favorite places to study between classes. The main part of the Union is not quiet, but again, if you like a little noise, this is a good place for you. Sometimes there are even people performing on the stage at the front of the room. Just a few days ago, I sat and did some work while listening to someone sing and play guitar. There are also corners of the Union that are quieter with less seating. The room with the piano is almost always silent and has very comfortable chairs, and there is outdoor seating on the patio for when the weather is nice! The Union also has food and drink places scattered throughout the building, so you are able to grab a quick study snack.

Downtown Champaign

If you hop on a bus, it takes about 15 minutes to get from campus to downtown Champaign, which is riddled with study spots of all kinds. One option is the Jane Addams Book Shop, which is a used-bookstore with three floors and seating scattered around. This would not necessarily be a place to do online homework, but if you need to read for a class, this would be a great place to sit and get lost in your book. In a similar vein, The Literary is around the same area and is a bookstore/cafe. There are couches and chairs throughout the shop and many folks go there to do work of all sorts. Finally, Cafe Kopi is a coffee shop in downtown Champaign where people are always doing work and enjoying one of their delicious drinks or snacks. There are, undoubtedly, other study spots in downtown Champaign and these are just a few of my favorites. If you haven’t ventured to this part of town yet, I highly recommend making a day of it!

There are so many study spots around campus that can fit your study preferences, try some out and figure out which ones work best for you!

Ania Sacks

Illinois '26

Hi! I'm Ania Sacks and I'm a freshman at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign studying English.