international student?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
international student?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Zen Chung Via Unsplash
Style > Fashion

3 Staple Denim Pieces That Will Elevate Your Spring and Summer Wardrobe

Updated Published

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I always dread shopping trips that require trying on countless pairs of denim pants and shorts. There always seems to be something off about the product… whether that be an unusual color wash, uncomfortable fabric, unflattering fit or even issues regarding length and rise. Despite the countless new denim lines released by department stores, not all of the bases are covered. Through the process of trying to find the perfect fit for denim pants and shorts, I have discovered a few of my all-time favorites. Bonus: if you’re a short girl like me, you may have even more luck with this list!

Levi’s 80s Mom Women’s Shorts ($69.50)

The unique wash of these denim mom shorts will make your outfit stand out on a warm, summer’s day! Levi’s proves to be one of my favorite brands to find quality denim pieces that don’t leave your pockets hurting. These mom shorts are form-fitting around the waist, creating a naturally slimming effect. While they are tighter on the waist and hip area, they prove to be comfortably snug. This eliminates any unwanted gapping on the waistline, which is my least favorite thing about wearing denim shorts! Additionally, the bottom of the shorts is more relaxed, allowing you to feel as if you can move around more freely. I enjoy pairing these shorts with a simple black crop top and a pair of Birkenstocks, which is usually my go-to outfit during the summer months.

Old Navy High-Waisted OG Jean Shorts — 3-inch inseam ($21.99)

The rumors are true… Old Navy is still a great, affordable store to find some class and basic pieces that will perfect your closet lineup! While I struggle to find jeans that correctly fit my body type, I almost always have success in finding a good pair of denim shorts. The High Waisted OG Jean Shorts prove to be one of my favorites, as they are true to size and almost always on sale! The stretchy fabric ensures optimal comfort and flexibility, which I find to be very important. These aren’t your typical pair of skin-tight shorts, as they almost have more of a mom-short type look. I am in love with the light wash fabric, as well as the distressed hem near the bottom of the shorts. It adds a nice touch to any outfit! 

Levi’s Wedgie Straight Fit Women’s Jeans ($58.98)

Remember when I said Levi’s was my favorite place to shop for staple denim pieces? I was not lying! The Wedgie Straight Jeans will flatter your figure like no other pair of jeans. They sit perfectly on your waist and are snug throughout your thighs, but are loose and straight near the bottom of the pants. I love pairing these denim jeans with platform sneakers or sandals, as they draw the right amount of attention towards the bottom of your pants, as well as your shoes. And the best part about these jeans? They can be dressed up or down and can be worn all year round! I love pairing them with Doc Martens and a simple long-sleeve tee, or even a patterned tank in the summer with a pair of colorful sandals. The outfit possibilities are truly endless!

Calli Kraft

Illinois '27

Hello all! I'm Calli Kraft, a student at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. My major is Advertising and I am also working towards a minor in Public Relations. As a freshman, Her Campus is the first club I have joined! I am so grateful to be a part of their team.