Spring is Here: Time to Get Involved!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The warm weather is here and the semester is winding down. It seems that the nicer it gets outside, the less you think about your classes and the more you think about how you cannot wait for your summer to begin. Spring and summer are great for many outdoor activities —hanging out on the quad, going for a run, enjoying drinks with friends or heading to the pool, just to name a few. But, the changing seasons also brings opportunities to incorporate the warm weather with something bigger than your relaxation or fun — giving back. There are various charities that take this into consideration and plan events to make their fundraising goals a social, outdoor activity. Here are some charity events in Champaign and Chicago to check out in the coming spring and summer months:

Relay for Life: Saturday, April 16
Champaign

The American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life is an overnight event in which people form teams and take turns walking around a track for the entire duration of the program. The event is started with a Survivors Lap and after dark is the Luminaria Ceremony to recognize anyone touched by cancer. To participate you can simply join a team, create your own team or just donate to one. The minimum fundraising goal for individuals to receive the event T-shirt is $100. For more information on how to get involved, visit www.relayforlifeuofi.com.

Mutt Strut: Saturday, May 7
Champaign

If you love animals, this is an event for you. Mutt Strut is a fundraiser event for the Champaign County Humane Society. Participants walk their dogs through Hessel Park and compete in contests and activities. Registration is $25 in advance and $35 at the event, and walkers are encouraged to raise money through donations in the name of their human/dog team (similar to how Relay for Life works). If you don’t have a dog, you can still donate on behalf of a shelter dog. For more information, visit http://www.cuhumane.org/events/mutt-strut/index.html.

Avon Walk for Breast Cancer: June 4-5
Chicago

The Avon Walk for Breast Cancer is a two day, 30 mile walk to raise money for breast cancer research. The event in Chicago will consist of about 26 miles on Saturday and 13 miles on Sunday — a long but sure to be enjoyable weekend, taking in city scenery and beautiful June weather along the way. The minimum fundraising commitment for walkers is $1,800. Don’t let the number scare you away, The Avon Walk for Breast Cancer website gives great tips on how to reach a large goal.

Vision Walk: June 12
Chicago

Vision Walk is a fundraising event for the Foundation Fighting Blindness. To participate in the 5K walk in Chicago, you can join a team, create a team or walk as an individual. Louise Zhang, fellow HC Illinois writer, coordinated her sorority’s participation in the event the past two summers. “The Vision Walk is an amazing event that allows me to have a great day in the city, but also give back to a cause that I deeply care about. Meeting many people at the event and seeing people’s appreciation has impacted me and made me realize how important fighting against blindness truly is,” Zhang said.

Members of Delta Gamma participating in Vision Walk 2010

To register, visit http://www.fightblindness.org/site/PageNavigator/VisionWalk_Homepage.

I hope you take a look at these suggestions and get involved. Enjoy your spring and try to give back!