This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Music has a way of speaking to the heart in a way nothing else can. This love bug season we’ve talked about romance, friendship and self-love. But what about musicality-type love? After all, sharing good music is a love language and because I love my readers… here’s me putting you onto some of the best tunes!

“L-O-v-e” by Nat king cole

Can you ever really go wrong with a classic jazz song (the answer is no)? I find myself always coming back to this one whenever the sun hovers over wispy cobalt skies and I’m on a stroll to the Main Quad or on my many walks to LaTea! The instrumentals in this piece are lovely and in combination with the lyrics, it makes for quite a beautiful experience.

“Thats you” and “Over” by Lucky Daye

Lucky Daye is such a phenomenal and highly underrated R&B artist. There are many songs of his that have made it to my favorites playlist, but these two songs have by far been the most repeated across all of my albums. Between the therapeutic vibes in the beats and smooth voice, these are perfect for those days you want to feel understood. Lucky Daye has truly graced our ears with these lyrical masterpieces.

“Guli Mata” by: Shreya Ghoshal and Saad Lamjarred

The award for listening to a song once and instantly falling madly in love has to go to this beauty. With lyrics switching between Hindi and Arabic, this romantic piece will have you swooning. Ethereal doesn’t even begin to put into words how this song makes you feel. This is a perfect tune for a swift walk to your next class!

“On my mama” by Victoria Monèt

If you’re in a hype mood and want to embrace your inner girl boss, this is the perfect song. Lyrics like ” I look fly, I look good” and “your opinion is irrelevant” paired with an irresistible beat will have you dancing in the middle of the gym like no one’s watching.

“B.S.” by: Jhené Aiko and H.E.R.

A recent discovery, this song is pure vibes. An ideal tune to listen to when you’re in your “forget the opinions of everyone, I’m focused on myself” era. And the combination of their voices is a matchmake in heaven.

“Dying 4 your love” by Snoh Aalegra

This was the first piece of hers I listened to and to this day, it’s still my favorite. I absolutely love the smoothness in her voice followed by such meaningful lyrics. For some reason, this song hits the best at night! Enough said… go listen to it right now!

“i wish you love” by Laufey

If you’ve been watching the news on the musical artists on the rise, then you’ve defiantly heard of the wonderful Laufey and her making jazz relevant for Generation Z. Proud to say I’ve been a fan of hers before her recent fame and even more proud to see all the well-deserved success! You truly can’t go wrong with any of her pieces, but this one will always have a special place in my heart because who doesn’t wish someone close to them love?!

Open your music app and give all of these songs a listen and make sure to incorporate a few into a playlist! That’s all from me this week, so until next time stay uniquely you!

Mierra Freeman

Illinois '26

Hiya! My name is Mierra Freeman, and I am currently a sophomore studying sociology, while on the Pre-Law track. Although I want to pursue Criminal law as my career path, I have always had a passion and special place in my heart for all things beauty, self care, skincare, positivity, and fashion! I hope that together we are able to embark on this wonderful journey in the world of beauty and positivity. Never forget to stay uniquely you!!💗