This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As the temperature rises, the heat and humidity can cause our hair to have a mind of its own. Why not beat the heat and adapt our hairstyles to the temperature? There are many easy alternatives to making our hair look sexy and sleek. It’s time to work that updo! From spicing up a boring ponytail to creating the effortless double hair knot taken straight from the runway, here are some hair solutions that will leave you feeling trendy and chic without having hair sticking to your face.

“I like when a girl’s hair is pulled back because it shows off her facial features.”  – Serge Urakhchin, senior in Molecular & Cellular Biology

There are many ways to sizzle up the classic ponytail. You can create a perky ponytail by teasing the front section of your hair. Another way to pizzazz the pony is to add a colorful scarf. Amy Paul, a senior in Speech & Hearing Science, shares with HC Illinois that she likes to add an embellished hairband with her ponytail. To create a sophisticated and sleek look for a night out on the town, slick back your hair wi
th gel or styling spray and gather hair at the nape of your neck to make a low ponytail. Then take a 1/2-inch-wide section of the ponytail, wrap this piece around the elastic. Finally, add bobby pins to secure the end.

“Braids are a great way from keeping bangs out of your eyes. When I go out, I usually style my hair in a front braid.”  Lindsey Jackson, senior in Speech & Hearing Science

Amp up your style by trying a hair trend heating up the red carpet: the fishtail braid. Celebs like Rihanna. and Twilight’s Ashley Greene have been spotted sporting this glamorous do. Here’s the key: Divide your hair into two sections. Pull a thin strip of hair from the right section and place it over the left one. Similarly, pull a thin strip from the left section and place it over the right. The thinner the hair strips the more it will have a fishtail effect. Repeat the steps until you reach the end of your hair.

If you are a visual learner, check out this tutorial to recreate this hot look: 

Another great option to boost your hair creativity is the double hair knot. This look was styled by Orlando Pita for the Michael Kors catwalk. According to Pita, “The summer influence comes c
ourtesy of a desire to have fuse urban hairstyle with the feel that its wearer has “been out at the beach all day.”
To embody this playful hairstyle:

First, spritz the hair all over with a sea-salt. Next, scrunch the hair into bunches while drying to add waves and texture. Then pull a thick section of hair out at the front, sweeping it into a deep side part. Finally, take back two sections of hair and tie into a knot, then again into a double knot.
If you’d like a step-by-step guide to capture this hairstyle please follow the link:
http://www.fashionising.com/hair/b–how-to-hair-knot-5650.html

Of course I haven’t forgotten about short hair.  You can never go wrong with a bob. You can go for the classic cut or try an inverted or angled cut. Bobs are very versatile and easy to style and maintain. You can add texture by razoring or add some layers or side bangs. There are many options to fit your personality and style.

“I really like when girls wear their hair naturally wavy. ”- Stoy Kolev, senior in Environmental Engineering

For bobs, you can also create tousled waves by curling your hair into sections and creating loose curls. Then use a blow dryer to break up the curl to create a natural, beachy look.  Or you can also braid damp hair, sleep, then undo when you get up.
.

For more information on how to create a short waved bob: http://www.fashionising.com/trends/b–wavy-bob-5511.html