This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As the school year is quickly approaching us and back-to-school season is in full swing, it is important to evaluate our habits and what we can improve to be our happiest and healthiest selves, as ~health is wealth~. Eating a healthy and sustainable breakfast is a way to improve your daily routine by not only providing you with energy for an early class but also a way to up your cooking game. Without trying to sound like your mom or a broken record on repeat, breakfast is truly the most important meal of the day. Ever since I started making myself breakfast in the morning, I have found myself to be less sluggish, less grumpy, and more productive overall! Here are five quick, easy, and healthy breakfasts that practically anyone can make:

1. Avocado Toast. Jumping on the bandwagon here, but avocado toast is the way to go. Not to mention, it takes practically three minutes to make, tastes delicious, and tides you over until lunch. You can use any type of bread you like (my favorite is Dave’s Killer Bread) and spice it up with your favorite seasoning (Everything But the Bagel from Trader Joe’s is the way to go) to make it your own. You could even add an egg on top for some added protein.

2. Overnight Oats. Oatmeal is such a hearty and balanced breakfast and it is so easy to make it taste delicious. To make your own overnight oats, fill a mason jar with equal parts oats and any type of milk, and stick it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, you will have oats ready to eat, and you can add any of your favorite toppings – my personal favorite is adding a scoop of peanut butter and a small handful of chocolate chips for a Reese’s vibe.

3. Smoothies. Smoothies are completely underrated as a way to pack in your daily value fruits and veggies. I have found that using frozen fruit keeps the smoothie the coldest and freshest, and adding a banana to your smoothie helps to combine everything and gives it a thicker consistency. Any type of green leafy vegetable, such as spinach or kale, is totally optional as a way to pack in more nutrients; you barely even taste them, not to mention they make your smoothie a gorgeous bright green!

4. Peanut Butter & Banana Rice Cakes. If you’re looking for a lower-carb peanut butter & banana toast, rice cakes are the way to go. Rice cakes are a great substitute for bread, as you can totally spice them up with your favorite toppings. My personal favorite way to use rice cakes in my breakfasts is to spread peanut butter on top and add cut-up bananas. The peanut butter provides the essential protein, and the banana provides the potassium, with the added crunch from the rice cake without the carb-heavy bread.

Feel free to make any of these your own. Hopefully these inspired you to make breakfast a part of your daily routine!

Hi! My name is Grace and I will be a senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I am majoring in Communication with a minor in Business. In my free time, I love baking, spending time with my family & friends, listening to podcasts and taking photos for my food Instagram! I feel so fulfilled being a member of Her Campus, and have enjoyed spending time as a member of PR and as an Event Coordinator! I am looking forward to leading my chapter in the fall as our Campus Correspondent.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.