Alcohol Drinking Hands Party
Alcohol Drinking Hands Party
Alex Frank / Spoon
Wellness

Possible Consequences of a Night Out on the Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The effects of Binge Drinking in College

College: “the best four years of your life.” Also, the scariest, most challenging, and dangerous four years of your life. Enjoy your time on campus, but be aware of the dangers of binge drinking, hanging with the wrong crowd and losing yourself. 

Anna Schultz-Girl With Red Solo Cup
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

According to the National Institute on Alcohol and Alcohol Abuse, binge drinking is defined as “a pattern of drinking alcohol that brings blood alcohol concentration (BAC) to 0.08 percent.” For a guy, this is equal to about five drinks within two hours, and for a woman, it’s having about four drinks within two hours. I am guilty of having probably twice as many drinks in that two-hour time span. This also means that I am guilty of waking up at 7 am, still feeling the effects of the previous night, and unable to get to my math lecture because I can’t stand up without my brain feeling like it’s riding a carousel. 

The consequences I’ve endured are minor compared to the true dangers of binge drinking. Besides a nasty hangover and a dropping math grade, possible consequences of binge drinking include death, assault, sexual assault, academic issues, alcohol abuse, involvement with the police, long-term health issues, and more (NIAAA). I know these all sound like drastic consequences and “they would never happen to me!” Sorry to say, but it could very well happen to you; humans, especially college students, are not invincible. Just this past weekend, two of my friends were hospitalized for going a little too hard at the bars on Saturday night. Both girls are okay, but this emphasizes my point that the consequences of binge drinking are more common than you would expect. 

Whether or not you indulge in the occasional night out, it’s important to understand what exactly binge drinking is. In addition, it is equally as important to know how to look after yourself and your friends. My biggest, non-scientifically proven tip is to know your reason for drinking. Are you truly happy, with a safe group, and want to go out? Or are you drinking because you are in an uncomfortable setting or because you were pressured? Also, take in your surroundings, keep an eye on friends, and make sure they will keep an eye on you. Leave your house with your phone charged in case of an emergency, and have someone in mind who will be sober that night if you find yourself in need of help. Finally, please remember the Good Samaritan law: if you see someone in danger, call 911. You will not experience any repercussions for underage drinking or drug use. No matter what physical state you are in, you are safe from being prosecuted, and your friend or peer will receive the help they need. 

Sources:

NIAAA:  U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (n.d.). College drinking. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Retrieved October 21, 2021, from https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/college-drinking. 

Kate Bushman

Illinois '24

I'm a current sophmore at the Univeristy of Illinois pursuing a B.S. in dietetics and a double minor in child health and well-being and psychology. I'm a member of Alpha Gamma Delta Sigma Chapter and serve on the AGD Sigma executive council. Additionally, I am a member of UNICEF@UIUC and on the fundraising committee. I have a strong passion for service, education, nutrition and mental wellness, and chick-lit.