Penn State Scandal Affects More than Just One University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

After the Penn State football scandal surfaced among all major news sources and flooded Facebook news feeds, universities have been on alert in the hopes that their school is not next on the list in terms of sexual assault crimes.

Recently, Syracuse University has been in the spotlight as their basketball coach,  Jim Boeheim’s, position is now being questioned because his assistant coach has been accused of multiple molestations.

Because of the amount of publicity the school has been receiving after Jerry Sandusky was charged with the sexual assault of children, many universities are now making sure that their athletic departments do not face the same fate and are raising awareness about sexual assault.

According to an article in the Huffington Post, schools are urging their athletic departments to reread their school’s reporting policies, as well as more closely keeping a watch on those who work in their school’s athletic departments.

According to the Huffington Post, in the letter NCAA president, Mark Emmert, sent to Penn State, Emmert stated that “It is critical that each campus and the NCAA as an Association re-examine how we constrain or encourage behaviors that lift up young people rather than making them victims.”

Many large universities are trying to reinforce their policies so that another scandal does not have to occur.

As the Huffington Post reported, Chris Monasch, the athletic director at St. John’s University, has stated that “if there is an issue that’s inappropriate you have to deal with it immediately.”

According to interviews done by The Associated Press, some athletic directors have already brought up the subject with their departments.

According to the Huffington Post, Joel Maturi, the athletic director at the University of Minnesota sent out his weekly email and asked everyone to only pray for the victims, but also reminded everyone of their responsibility to report any “illegal, abusive or improper behavior they become aware of.”

Students at the University of Illinois have many resources available for them if they are a witness or fall victim to sexual assault.

In cases where students are victims to sexual assault, the University’s Division of Public Safety advises students to report the crime immediately to police. Students who fall victim to sexual assault are also advised to visit a hospital where medical staff can treat the physical consequences of abuse, such as an injury or possible pregnancy.

Victims of sexual assault can call the Rape Crisis 24-hour Hotline (217-384-4444), the Emergency Dean (217-333-0050), and/or the Women’s Resource Center (217-333-3137) if they wish to speak with someone and/or if they report the crime. For more information, look here

The University’s Women’s Resources Centers also offers students a variety of programs, including support groups, that raise awareness and prevention of sexual assault.

The University offers its students a variety of resources and does everything it can to ensure its students safety and so that Illinois does not end up in the same negative spotlight that Penn State has fallen into. 

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!