Panchero’s Mexican Grill: Fresh, Fast and Damn Smart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Have you ever bitten into a burrito only to find that the savory Mexican ingredients you ordered are less than properly distributed? Or rather, have you ever paid extra to add guacamole to your burrito and got it all in one bite?

This common problem amongst fast-service Mexican restaurants has left countless numbers of UIUC students unsatisfied and discouraged—until now. On June 7, Panchero’s Mexican Grill will be opening its doors to the Champaign-Urbana community and serving up well-mixed burritos to all.

The secret is in the spatula. Director of Marketing, Reid Travis, describes the process as “Bobbing” the burrito; Panchero’s employees use a special spatula tool nicknamed “Bob” to mix up all of the contents of the burrito so that every part is evenly distributed. This quick and innovative technology provides new refuge for all burrito lovers and sets the restaurant apart from the standard quick-serve Mexican establishment.

Open since 1992 and based out of Iowa City, Iowa, Panchero’s Mexican Grill also takes great pride in its freshness and variety.

“We start literally with a ball of dough pressed into a tortilla on a grill right in front of you when you order,” said Travis. “You’ll never order a #1 or a #2; you can completely customize your burrito choosing from our list of ingredients, like our fresh-made guacamole and signature queso.”

Panchero’s also serves a selection of other Tex-Mex favorites like tacos and quesadillas. An added bonus – with affordable price points (basic burrito starts at $5.95), Panchero’s fits into any student’s budget.

Think it can’t get any better? On June 16, the restaurant will be hosting a grand opening kick-off celebration from 5pm-7pm, featuring live radio music from Q96, trivia, prize giveaways and any burrito you want for just $1. This event is a must for any collegiette/U of I foodie and is sure to be a great start to any night.

As a new addition on the HC Illinois list of hot spots, we are excited to add another venue to our ranks of C-U Mexican fare. Looks like Chipotle’s got some competition.

Panchero’s Mexican Grill is located at 102 E. University Ave, Suite B in Urbana.
For more information or to view a full menu/other locations, log onto www.pancheros.com!