This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

“OH. MY. GOD.” This was the reaction of most Friends fans over the last couple of days as it was released by Netflix that the hit sitcom was going to be removed after January 1, 2019. All I can say is that we do not want to be on a break with this TV show. Ever. However, here is the most recent news: Netflix heard our complaints, and they have decided to keep the show on for at least one more year. “Isn’t that just kick-you-in-the-crotch, spit-on-your-neck-fantastic?”

Why was Friends going to be taken off of Netflix in the first place?

The hit comedy was going to be removed from Netflix to be moved to Warner Media’s streaming platform. While this move has been delayed, it is most likely going to take place in 2020.

What did Netflix have to do to keep it?

In order to keep Friends on Netflix, they are having to pay a much steeper price. Normally, they pay $30 million each year to run the show. However, they are now going to be paying Warner Media $100 million. Not too shabby for Warner Media. 

How long has Friends been on Netflix?

Friends started streaming on Netflix in 2014, and is one of the most popular shows on the streaming service. Within the past year, it has also become available to the UK and Ireland. 

What would we do without Friends?

Friends isn’t only a great TV show to watch, but it has so many important lessons that it would basically be a crime to remove it from Netflix. Each character on the show has taught us something that is extremely useful.

Joey taught us the importance of not sharing our food. 

Chandler gave us some reassurance that we are not alone in our search for love. 

Ross showed us the importance of saying the right name at the altar. 

We learned the importance of organization from Monica.

Rachel taught us that it’s okay if not everyone likes you.

And lastly, Phoebe taught us how to be very creative. 

So, we can all thank the Holiday Armadillo this year for renewing our favorite TV series for at least one more year!

Photo 1 I Photo 2 I Photo 3 I Photo 4 I Photo 5 I Photo 6 I Photo 7

Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.