New On-Campus Boutique Apricot Lane Grand Opening

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Green Street is looking quite fashionable this school year. Apricot Lane, a new on-campus botique, opened Sept., 19. Located on the corner of Wright and Green, this new addition to campus holds essential items for all Collegiates.

The franchise started in Peoria Ill. and has expanded to Normal, Ill. on the Illinois State University campus and even as far as Nashville.

Champaign store manager, Lindsey Flessner, said she is excited for the C-U store and thinks it will take off successfully. “Since it did so well on Normal’s campus, it makes sense that it could do well here too,” Flessner said. “It’s a great market here because it offers trendy, affordable and fashionable clothes for students.”

Successful sales during the grand opening week have set a high standard for a promising future at Apricot Lane. “It’s in such a great location, everyone walks or drives past this corner,” Flessner said. “People come here during their breaks and after work or class. So far it’s phenomenal, and sales are phenomenal.”

The accessories and apparel come from vendors in Los Angeles. Dixon has also bought items in other boutiques throughout the L.A. area.

Haley Eble, UIUC junior, shopped during the grand opening and said she enjoyed browsing around the shop. “I bought two headbands and a watch,” Eble said. “I liked that they had a wide range of clothing and different accessories.”

Eble said she will be back for future retail therapy sessions. “I’ll continue to shop here because I really like the accessories I bought, and I like the style of clothing they bring into the store,” she said.

Jessica Jacobsen, junior, also liked what Apricot Lane has to offer. “I really liked the jewelry,” she said. “It’s trendy, cute and also pretty affordable.”

According to Flessner, the most popular item that so far is an Emily Maynard cardigan. She said its tribal pattern is very popular, and everyone wants it, especially since it is all over Pinterest and Instagram. “Thursday morning, we had 12 [cardigans,] and we sold them all within our opening hour,” Flessner said. “Literally, everyone comes in and dashes for the sweater.”

Because Apricot Lane is a boutique, the number of each clothing item is limited. “[We] only get a small number of items, such as 6,” Flessner said. “We don’t usually get restocks, so if you see an item one day, you should buy it. If it’s a popular item, then it will sell out quickly.”

The convenient location will hopefully bring in a big shopping crowd for the rest of the semester, and Flessner has high hopes for the future. “Girls don’t have to go to the mall because they now have this right on campus,” she said. We’re excited to give girls here something they may have been missing.”

A quick tip to remember: Apricot Lane apparel and accessories change daily. Window shopping weekly could be a rewarding study break for many shoppers.” We’ll always be putting new stuff out,” Flessner said. Everyone needs to stop by and come on in!